Author Topic: After seasoning?  (Read 3643 times)

GerryC

After seasoning?
« on: April 13, 2016, 07:15:57 AM »
Ok, just seasoned my #2 and I have a couple of questions.  What do I do, if anything, with the "oil" residue that looks like syrup after seasoning - just normal, leave it?

I foil the bottom of the smoker (poke a drain hole) and the lid to the smoke box, correct?  Screen in bottom of smoke box?

Any placement tips for shelving or the shelf supports?

Finally, I received Sasha's Flavor Savor - how do you hang it and where?

Thanks for any info.  Will be doing ribs this weekend!!!

Gerry
NY - Long Island

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: After seasoning?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 09:52:49 AM »
Where do you have this oil residue? You will probably see a tacky surface. But, if you are actually seeing syrup like oil, I think I would try to clean it up as best I could with paper towels and then re-season again.

Did you use foil during the seasoning? If so, I would season again without the foil.

As far as shelf placement, you typically want to place your meat as high in the smoker that you can without touching the roof of the smoker and so you have room for the probe to stick out and run up the smoke hole. My meat usually ends up being about 2" or so from the top of the smoker.

For water pans, I just use mini-loaf tins that I pick up at Wally World and chuck them when I am done. But, regardless of the water pan that you use, you would want to place it on the floor of the smoker rested right up against the smoke box. For the Flavor Savor, you don't want to hang it. This can cause a heat sink and affect the temperatures during your smokes.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

GerryC

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 01:22:18 PM »
Just a bit tack on the floor of smoker - no foil used at all.  Thanks for the info!

Gerry
NY - Long Island

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 03:31:15 PM »
A bit tacky is completely normal. Sounds like you just need to get some meat in there now.

Smoke on my friend!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 06:44:08 PM »
That residue is the gold that's left over from a successful seasoning!  Good stuff!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!