Author Topic: First chicken smoke  (Read 7474 times)

ibbones

Re: First chicken smoke
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2016, 03:24:59 PM »
By the way, why not brine them?
'
I normally would but every time I make brine, I just "add" this and that to it.  Maybe one shake instead of two of this spice or that.  But also, I am trying to get the flavor of just chicken and wood.  No variables and I am hoping to do one each day but not as my main part of the meal.  Otherwise I am going to be tired of chicken after four days in a row so it's just going to be a few bites off each one.  Maybe then I can make a King Ranch Chicken with the leftovers.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

Sum1

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2016, 12:31:23 AM »
If you'll eat them day after day, it would be very hard for you to judge. I think you really need to taste them side by side, all in one sitting.

As for a brine, I think it's best to stick with a specific brine that works best for you, and not just do a little of this and a little of that. Consistency is important, if you want to reproduce something that you found to be good. 
Zvi from Brooklyn

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2016, 07:56:51 PM »
As for a brine, I think it's best to stick with a specific brine that works best for you, and not just do a little of this and a little of that. Consistency is important, if you want to reproduce something that you found to be good.

+1!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2016, 09:57:14 PM »
Keep the brine simple so other flavors do not interfere. 1 gallon water, 1 cup Kosher salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar. Make sure to keep brine time the same.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

Sum1

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2016, 10:26:23 PM »
My whole chicken brine is this:

1 gallon of tap water (or enough to completely submerge the chicken in a bowl that is not too much larger than the chicken). Don't heat up the water, room temperature is fine.
¾ cup kosher salt
1 cup white sugar
1 tbs ground black pepper
1 tbs cayenne
Mix all the ingredients well until the salt and sugar are dissolved.
Zvi from Brooklyn

ibbones

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2016, 12:50:09 PM »
My whole chicken brine is this:

1 gallon of tap water (or enough to completely submerge the chicken in a bowl that is not too much larger than the chicken). Don't heat up the water, room temperature is fine.
¾ cup kosher salt
1 cup white sugar
1 tbs ground black pepper
1 tbs cayenne
Mix all the ingredients well until the salt and sugar are dissolved.
Done.  I am going to brine each bird with this recipe and try each one with different wood.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2016, 08:34:37 PM »
As long as we're recommending brines for poultry, Bones, I'll throw in my go-to!  I find the orange juice adds the sugar, without adding sugar.

DM's All-Purpose Poultry Brine
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Sum1

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2016, 11:57:39 PM »
Forgot the mention that I brine the bird in the fridge. I think that goes without saying..
Zvi from Brooklyn