Author Topic: RTIC Coolers  (Read 32567 times)

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
Re: RTIC Coolers
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2016, 09:27:52 PM »
Took my RTIC 45 camping a couple weeks ago as well as took it out on my boat for a hot afternoon. It performed like a champ. I did not pre-cool it and it was sitting out in direct sunlight for hours and hours. Hardly a dent was made in the ice. I'm thinking this is gonna be my new buddy for camping and truck. I just ordered RTIC 20 for the boat and other smaller/short trips. I like sturdy and rugged build of these units.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 12:14:09 AM by TmanEater »
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2016, 12:23:21 AM »
I just ordered two can koozies. I saw some Yeti ones at Mills Fleet Farm tonight and was thinking dang these things are nice. But $30 for a can koozie!!! Even $15 seems a little crazy. But if these things are as good as you guys say they are they will be worth the investment.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2016, 12:31:43 AM »
LOL Gregg! You do need the koozies to keep your hands warm because these coolers keep the cans so damn cold! I already have a stockpile of freebie neoprene koozies that do a good job.

Maybe I'll have to do the reverse test in these coolers and see how long they can keep 2 smoked butts piping hot. If 6 hours is the answer I can smoke them and drive all the way to Nebraska during the rest period to share dinner with my family.

Tony from Marion, IA

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2016, 12:37:14 AM »
I've kept butts in my cheapo cooler for 4 hours and they were still too hot to hand pull. So, I would think 6 hours in one of these babies would just be all in a days work.

I have a ton of freebie koozies too and they are pretty much crap. Or maybe I just drink too slow. :P
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2016, 01:04:02 PM »
What size cooler would you guys suggest for keeping meat warm? I would think the smaller the better but would like an opinion.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2016, 09:39:25 PM »
A good cooler and it wont matter.  I have the small yeti with handle and it takes a wrapped 10 lb + butt 5 hours and its still too hot to pull by hand!

The rtic ones should be fine for any size
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Nimrod

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2016, 09:58:20 PM »
I just ordered two can koozies. I saw some Yeti ones at Mills Fleet Farm tonight and was thinking dang these things are nice. But $30 for a can koozie!!! Even $15 seems a little crazy. But if these things are as good as you guys say they are they will be worth the investment.

I know lots of folks on this forum like the "do it yourself" route and here's another can koozie they sell for only 99 cents at the local grocery (comes with free beans or similar veggie!) and you can use those old worn out foam ones for a liner.  I made a few of these for my brothers and fam in Little Rock (no offense DM or Grampy)  for Christmas but everyone should have this on their list ;D
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2
Weber Genesis and one shop built offset (certified) sanctuary for red wasps

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2016, 12:12:06 AM »
LOL Gregg! You do need the koozies to keep your hands warm because these coolers keep the cans so damn cold! I already have a stockpile of freebie neoprene koozies that do a good job.

Maybe I'll have to do the reverse test in these coolers and see how long they can keep 2 smoked butts piping hot. If 6 hours is the answer I can smoke them and drive all the way to Nebraska during the rest period to share dinner with my family.

Tony, I've held 2 butts in my RTIC for close to 8 hrs and they were still very hot. No worries there!
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2016, 02:06:57 AM »
What size cooler would you guys suggest for keeping meat warm? I would think the smaller the better but would like an opinion.

I use a styrofoam packing case that I received one year when I ordered a christmas meat pack from Omaha Steaks online. They have expensive steaks but they are shipped in great containers.

Tony from Marion, IA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2016, 03:44:35 PM »
I know lots of folks on this forum like the "do it yourself" route and here's another can koozie they sell for only 99 cents at the local grocery (comes with free beans or similar veggie!) and you can use those old worn out foam ones for a liner.  I made a few of these for my brothers and fam in Little Rock (no offense DM or Grampy)  for Christmas but everyone should have this on their list ;D

None taken, Dave!  Gonna have to make some of those for some friends.  Funny stuff, right there!! ;D ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Nimrod

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2016, 05:18:51 PM »
Doesn't cost much to add personal engraving of your choice!
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2

Kaz

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2016, 09:26:36 PM »
Ordered the rtic 45 a few weeks ago, just got my shipping confirmation for Friday. Can't wait!
Kaz - Pittsburgh, PA

Grampy

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2016, 07:47:42 AM »

[/quote]

None taken Dave, that is a great idea! I am more offended by the brand of beer that's in it!  ;D
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

Nimrod

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2016, 09:37:36 PM »
LOL!
I will keep that in mind Jimmy if you ever come to my house or vice versa for some fellowship and philosophy ;D ;D
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2016, 04:59:54 PM »
None taken Dave, that is a great idea! I am more offended by the brand of beer that's in it!  ;D

WHAAAAAT????  ;D ;D ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!