Author Topic: Boston Butt!  (Read 5505 times)

jstorf

• Jeff from Indiana/Arkansas/Connecticut
Boston Butt!
« on: November 09, 2014, 02:08:02 PM »
After 20.5 hours at 220 my first brined Boston Butt in the #3.  Almost turned into a disaster as it started falling apart when I went to transfer to foil.   :-[ :-[

A big thank you to Divot for turning me to the articles on brining!  Absolute home run!
If at first you don't succeed, feed it to the dog and start over.

Experienced charcoal smoker and Char Griller Duo with smoke box but will never go back now that I have the Model 3!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Boston Butt!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 03:31:17 PM »
When it's falling apart while foiling, I call that a resounding success! ;)   Nice job, and great looking butt! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

abaran

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 06:03:43 PM »
Did one today also turned out excellent,i'm sold.
Andre:SI3 with Auber, Weber kettle , Weber gas,and a  seldom  used char-broiler.
"A well-instructed people alone can be permanently a free people "-James Madison

Barrel99

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 06:08:04 PM »
One of the best accessories I ever got was the Bradley racks. They allow you to put your meat on the Bradley and carry whatever you are cooking to and from the smoker. YĆ²ur food stays on the Bradley at all times even while cooking. At foil time, you can wrap the meat and Bradley together making it real easy to do. You never touch the meat until it's back in the house and ready to pull or slice.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 07:18:06 PM »
What the heck is a Bradley rack?
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

Barrel99

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

Libohunden

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 09:18:46 AM »
Do they fit in a model 3? 
Smokin-it #3, Napolean Prestige Pro 500 Grill, Anova WiFi Precision Cooker (Sous Vide)
The Woodlands, Texas

Barrel99

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 01:01:15 PM »
Yes they fit in the #3. They are smaller than the Smokinit racks so they fit easily in and out. They are just a little short of a full rack of ribs, but only a little hangs over and it doesn't matter because it is an open rack. In effect it's a rack on a rack. I like the convenience of using them.

I put the Bradley on a sheet pan and then the meat. I can then put oil, mustard, rub etc. on, and all the extra falls to the sheet pan. I carry the whole thing, sheet pan, Bradly and meat outside then just pick up the Bradley rack and place it on the Smokinit rack. You never need to touch the meat again after that. When you want to foil ribs for example, you simply pull out the Bradley rack and put it back on the sheet pan.Then put foil over the meat and the Bradley rack together. Put in extra liquid if you like and close up the foil. Pick up the Bradley rack and put it back on the Smokinit rack. Just do the opposite to remove the foil.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 01:21:52 PM »
I truss the butts with butcher twine leaving a large loop I can pick up with tongs. This gives it enough structure it can be picked up and moved when finished. This rigging easily comes off by snipping the support strands while pulling up on the loop.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 01:38:34 PM »
I never attempt to "lift" a butt when done - they fall apart way too easy!  I take the shelf out of the smoker, and set the edge on a sheet of foil I have laid out on the table.  Then, just gently slide the whole thing off the rack onto the foil.  No breakage, and no lifting!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 04:06:00 PM »
I butcher tie my butts so they stay together when finished.   I use turkey forks to lift from the smoker, put on a foiled tray, and then in the house I remove the string and double wrap.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Barrel99

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 10:54:45 PM »
Ha-ha-ha! What would  ever happen to this world if we all agreed on something? It is so much fun to be part of such a diverse group. Wouldn't want it any other way.

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 10:34:46 AM »
I use my Bear Paws to cup underneath the butt and lift it onto a cookie sheet.

Then I take it in and do the double-foil.

The thing I wouldn't like about the double-rack deal is having to clean and extra rack.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Barrel99

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 12:22:50 PM »
Yes, you do have to clean both racks, but usually the smokinit rack stays pretty clean.