Author Topic: DIY Jerky Fan - Is it enough ?  (Read 1978 times)

Mr.Jerky

DIY Jerky Fan - Is it enough ?
« on: January 08, 2020, 04:20:45 PM »
I had made the DIY can fan then immediately after made the PVC version.  Both methods found in forum using the AC Infinity AXIAL 8038 fan.  It barely can suck a small piece of tissue to the lower drain hole....  this amount of air flow I’m sure is good for temperature and wood burn control but from anyone’s experience is this enough flow to dehydrate jerky in a SI Model#1 ?  Maybe because it’s not yet seasoned I’m pulling air from around door or this is normal flow rate.  I put a small pot of boiling water inside and does pull humidity out but to me just seems like it’s to little.
Craig from Massachusetts
SmokinIt #1 analog, Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Smoker Roaster, Ronco Rotisserie Oven :D

Lonzinomaker

Re: DIY Jerky Fan - Is it enough ?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 04:38:43 PM »
When I made my first jerky drier, I wanted a low volume fan cause the exit vent is only 1".  I figured a low air exchange rate would work just fine.
I've used the fan in a #3 and a Smokin-Tex 1460 (same size as a #2). It usually takes 4.5 to 6 hours to get my slices dried to the point I like while maintaining a box temp around 140-160. That gives me good tenderness and chew. I also always use cure #1 in my marinade.

I've never used a stand alone dehydrator, but I think they take about as long to finish. 
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

Mr.Jerky

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 09:48:23 PM »
Thanks sounds like the small amount of air flow should work.  My Nessco dehydrators do take around 6hrs.  Just going to be shocked if my model 1 does similar time while moving less air. Even if takes 8/10hrs for better end product be worth the wait.  Just shocked this fan can do the job and can’t wait until can test it out.
Craig from Massachusetts
SmokinIt #1 analog, Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Smoker Roaster, Ronco Rotisserie Oven :D

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 10:23:33 PM »
Use a paper towel with a circle cut out to fit over the vent and under the fan to help remove condensation from the vent/fan. In my area, the moisture evaporates and never saturates the whole paper towel. 
Dave
Spokane, WA

Mr.Jerky

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 10:09:17 AM »
Maybe they some type of thin type of humidifier pad that would not sacrifice
air flow rate too much to take that to the next level....
Craig from Massachusetts

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 11:42:34 AM »
There is no restriction in airflow if you cut out a circle in the center so the paper towel just sits over the vent.
Dave
Spokane, WA

lgboro

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 05:30:34 PM »
I haven't smoked any jerky yet, but I have experimented extensively with computer fans for ventilation in my small campers and even the highest airflow ones do not have the umph to move but small amounts of air that is constricted like the hole in our smokers.  Even the highest volume ones would not move a high volume of air through a airplane vent I bought that had a 1 1/2 inch vent (even a really expensive one that blows a lot of air), however, my dehydrator doesn't move larger volumes of air either and they work well drying jerky.
Larry from Eastern NC
Retired 1/2 time camper
SmokinIt #1 Smoker
Numerous grills
Outside Kitchen

azbohunter

• I eat, therefore I hunt and fish!
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 02:31:00 PM »
I had made the DIY can fan then immediately after made the PVC version.  Both methods found in forum using the AC Infinity AXIAL 8038 fan.  It barely can suck a small piece of tissue to the lower drain hole....  this amount of air flow I’m sure is good for temperature and wood burn control but from anyone’s experience is this enough flow to dehydrate jerky in a SI Model#1 ?  Maybe because it’s not yet seasoned I’m pulling air from around door or this is normal flow rate.  I put a small pot of boiling water inside and does pull humidity out but to me just seems like it’s to little.
I built the PVC fan using that fan and have done jerky and it worked fine. It has been a while and I don't remember the details of time/temp etc but it was like I like it.
Glendale, AZ 8 months of the year and then 4 months where ever the fish are biting best, usually along the Columbia River in Oregon.
I eat, therefore I hunt and fish! Hopefully I will learn to smoke some of it!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 12:17:33 PM »
I believe you guys are overthinking it. I have the Jerky Dryer, it is far under powered from what I expected, but it works fantastic.

The paper towel gasket, is an interesting idea but I doubt its necessary. Condensation on top of the smoker is not an issue, better out than in. However it is cheap and if it makes you happy do it.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud