Author Topic: Sodium nitrate vs nitrite  (Read 3253 times)

ccase39

Sodium nitrate vs nitrite
« on: October 01, 2016, 11:05:19 PM »
Can someone explain,  in laymens terms, the differences and pros or cons of curing with each? Never fully understood it.
Chris

Covington Louisiana

ibbones

Re: Sodium nitrate vs nitrite
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 04:35:08 PM »
 :-XMe too?  Not sure what is what.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

Nimrod

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 05:48:59 PM »
I think I've read some explanations that you might search on this forum but here's link to a great article:

http://barbecuebible.com/2014/08/26/guide-nitrites-prague-powder-curing-salts/
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2
Weber Genesis and one shop built offset (certified) sanctuary for red wasps

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 08:29:19 PM »
That BBQ Bible article is about as simple of an article as you're gonna get.  If you use any of these, please take the time to research how to use them properly.  Some of them can be quite toxic, if used in greater proportions than called for.  #1 is especially potent stuff, but is totally safe, in the right quantity.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 12:04:28 AM »
That is a GREAT article. Everything clearly explained all in one place. People here might not realize it because many of us have been smoking for some time, but home smoking is one of the latest food trends. Raichlen's Project Smoke series has brought a lot of accurate and simply explained information to the web. Written and presented in a professional manner. I especially enjoyed the reference to the smoke ring "hack" using TenderQuick. We love that here. Even though smoke rings are no longer supposed to be used as judging criteria in competition BBQ, I'm sure it is hard for the judges to overlook. Can you imagine a brisket without a smoke ring winning first place? Me neither.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 09:44:56 PM »
That is a GREAT article. Everything clearly explained all in one place. People here might not realize it because many of us have been smoking for some time, but home smoking is one of the latest food trends. Raichlen's Project Smoke series has brought a lot of accurate and simply explained information to the web. Written and presented in a professional manner. I especially enjoyed the reference to the smoke ring "hack" using TenderQuick. We love that here. Even though smoke rings are no longer supposed to be used as judging criteria in competition BBQ, I'm sure it is hard for the judges to overlook. Can you imagine a brisket without a smoke ring winning first place? Me neither.

+1!  Took me awhile to figure out the smoke ring "hacks!"  Wish I'd have seen this sooner! >:(
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Nimrod

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 02:23:06 PM »
+1!  Took me awhile to figure out the smoke ring "hacks!"  Wish I'd have seen this sooner! >:(
Of course the writer is referring to the "Unscrupulous competitors on the barbecue circuit...painting a smoke ring" and not the honest, upright, smokin circuit folks of much higher integrity and moral standing who are merely perfecting their craft for sustenance and fellowship 8)
Dave from Lufkin, TX
Smokin-It #2
Weber Genesis and one shop built offset (certified) sanctuary for red wasps

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 07:59:08 PM »
Of course the writer is referring to the "Unscrupulous competitors on the barbecue circuit...painting a smoke ring" and not the honest, upright, smokin circuit folks of much higher integrity and moral standing who are merely perfecting their craft for sustenance and fellowship 8)

Hehe...yeah, he does point that out, Dave.  If I were a competitor, on the BBQ circuit, and limited to wood and/or charcoal fires like they are, I would also consider the use of TQ as unscrupulous!  Traditional BBQ makes traditional smoke rings (but many of us know even that is not always the case). 

I consider us part of the latter folks you spoke of. ;) 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas