Author Topic: Smoked NY Strip Loin  (Read 4098 times)

Texan in Tulsa

Smoked NY Strip Loin
« on: February 22, 2016, 03:55:10 PM »
Had an awesome weekend of smoking so thought I would share another SI success story. After I've gone on and on about my SI 3D around the office, on Friday a co-worker brought in a 3 lb NY Strip loin and asked me what I could do with that. Challenge accepted!!

I began with a light coating of olive oil and followed that with Saltgrass Steak House's -7- Steak Spice. I use this a lot on grilled steaks and hamburgers and its a nice rub without being too salty. I've only found this at HEB and Brookshire stores in Texas. Not sure if they sell it anywhere else around the country.

After the rub was applied, into the smoker it went with a couple of pieces of Smokinlicious oak and a small piece of the hickory wood that was sent with the 3D for seasoning. Hickory is generally too strong for my taste, but I enjoy it when it's not too heavy.

Programmed the 3D at 200 degrees until it reached an internal temp of 135 and then pulled the meat, wrapped it in foil and let it rest about 20 minutes. I then sliced it into 4 steaks, each about 12 oz and went to a super hot grill for about 1 minute per side to sear the outside and give it some nice grill marks.

I really wanted to cut into one of these steaks last night, but had to bring them to work today for lunch. I was a little scared of ruining what I had smoked by trying to reheat this in the microwave today, but have to say reheating them on a low power helped bring them to temp without over cooking. My co-workers thoroughly enjoyed the steaks. The meat had a texture similar to prime rib with a nice crust and a great smokiness. Smoked steaks is something I will definitely be doing again.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

kz0m

• Carl
Re: Smoked NY Strip Loin
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 04:27:57 PM »
Those steaks look great Andy!  Most probably won't know about our Texas HEB secret but we love HEB and living in the DFW area we can either go to central market or drive south of FW to Burleson for an HEB superstore.  We lived in SA for over 10 years, HEB's home base, we miss those great stores!  Gives new meaning to Butt ;-))
Carl-D/FW area of Texas.  Model #3D on top of Sears Craftsman tool cart.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 05:36:14 PM »
Nice! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 11:00:38 PM »
Those steaks look great Andy!  Most probably won't know about our Texas HEB secret but we love HEB and living in the DFW area we can either go to central market or drive south of FW to Burleson for an HEB superstore.  We lived in SA for over 10 years, HEB's home base, we miss those great stores!  Gives new meaning to Butt ;-))
The steaks were beyond great Carl. Next time I plan to skip the microwave reheat and enjoy while their fresh off the grill.  I'm very familiar with the Burleson area. I grew up in Cleburne and have family all around the DFW area.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

SmokinSusie-Q

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 06:11:01 PM »
I'm just learning but why two probes in the strip loin?  I have the 2D and only one probe for internal temp.  BTW, steaks looked great.
Sue
Cedar Point, NC

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 09:40:02 PM »
I'm just learning but why two probes in the strip loin?  I have the 2D and only one probe for internal temp.  BTW, steaks looked great.

I'm going to take a guess and say that he used his SI (Auber) probe and a Maverick probe to see how the temps compared between the two.

We'll see if I am right or not. ;)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 12:08:31 PM »

I'm going to take a guess and say that he used his SI (Auber) probe and a Maverick probe to see how the temps compared between the two.

We'll see if I am right or not. ;)
Gregg you are correct. I actually had 3 probes going though........the 3D's Auber probe and 1 Maverick probe as shown in the picture and the 2nd Maverick probe was inserted in the back side. I wanted to see how differently the temp would vary from side to side and was surprised that it stayed 3 to 4 degrees different until the IT was near the 100 degree mark. Once it reached that point the temp was within 1 degree side to side. Of course about 45 minutes in my Auber probe gave me a high limit alarm so it was useless at that point. Still no idea why I can't get that probe to work correctly.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 07:25:07 PM »
Of course about 45 minutes in my Auber probe gave me a high limit alarm so it was useless at that point. Still no idea why I can't get that probe to work correctly.

Andy, check the high limit alarm setting by pressing SET until Lck appears in the left window, the dial in 155 in the right, and press SET again.  You'll see AH1 in the left window; set this to 375, and press SET again.  Make sure AL1 is set to 0, and press SET.  AH2 is your meat probe alarm; set it to 220, and press SET until it's back to the temp display.  You should not be receiving a high temp alarm, at the low temps you had.  It's possible you have a bad probe.  Test it by inserting the meat probe in a glass of ice water, and see what it reads.  Do this, and let me know what happens. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Texan in Tulsa

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 01:47:31 PM »
Andy, check the high limit alarm setting by pressing SET until Lck appears in the left window, the dial in 155 in the right, and press SET again.  You'll see AH1 in the left window; set this to 375, and press SET again.  Make sure AL1 is set to 0, and press SET.  AH2 is your meat probe alarm; set it to 220, and press SET until it's back to the temp display.  You should not be receiving a high temp alarm, at the low temps you had.  It's possible you have a bad probe.  Test it by inserting the meat probe in a glass of ice water, and see what it reads.  Do this, and let me know what happens.
Tony, when I put in code 155, I get SC-1 in the left window.
Andy - Broken Arrow, OK