Author Topic: Something good this way comes  (Read 2258 times)

RG

Something good this way comes
« on: June 28, 2015, 11:06:17 AM »
It's been a while since I had made any "sassidge" so I figured I would procure the needed ingredients from the store yesterday to make up a batch. I bought an 8 pound butt and came home and busted out the meat grinder and sausage stuffer and some hog casings and made up some Hot Links. I have them on my Traeger as we speak, on "smoke" setting which runs around 140-180 degrees. I know it's not on the SI so forgive me. The Traeger has been wonderful for me over the years at smoking bacon and sausage.

This is what I put on the smoker a bit ago, I'll post more pics when it's done.

RG

Re: Something good this way comes
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 01:54:42 PM »
Just off of the smoker. Letting them cool for a bit then I'll vacuum seal them and most likely will fry one up to check for quality control purposes :P

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 02:08:44 PM »
Jason,

Those look really good!

Greg

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 02:13:06 PM »
Nice color.  I do stuff like this a lot.

Always torn weather to slice the tops a bit or not. 

They seem "healthier" when some of the fat comes out. 

Who am I kidding:)
Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

RG

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 02:54:15 PM »
I cooked up one of the little ones just to see how it turned out. It was VERY good, some of my best yet. I poke them with a needle to keep them from splitting open and to get air out but they still stay nice and juicy. When I do Texas style sausage I normally use ground chuck and pork butt, this was all pork and I think I like it better!

« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 04:01:37 PM by RG »

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 05:57:28 PM »
A secret recipe? Color looks great, just curious did to fry a sample taste prior to smoking to check seasoning?
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

RG

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 06:33:26 PM »
A secret recipe? Color looks great, just curious did to fry a sample taste prior to smoking to check seasoning?

Yeah PB, that's why the pan looks like crap, lol. My son had it SCREAMING hot :P

I always do a test fry to make sure it's the way I like it before I commit to stuffing a bunch of casings only to find out I should've added more of this or that. This was good stuff. No, it's not a secret recipe. I do have some of those too though. My Brunswick Stew and my Brisket Chili and my Beer Chipotle BBQ sauce are things that I am just too greedy to share as I know they are unique and nobody but me can make it. My Wife is the only other person that knows how to make it in case I croak before her, lol. My Chocolate Chunk cookies are another one, but I digress. If you want the recipe I can share it, no big deal.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 06:35:17 PM by RG »

RG

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 06:52:40 PM »