Author Topic: solid Wood Block chuncks VS. Small Chips/sliver wood  (Read 4801 times)

Big daddy smoke

solid Wood Block chuncks VS. Small Chips/sliver wood
« on: July 15, 2015, 01:23:11 PM »
Hi, I got a question. If anybody is out there, in about 1 hour i'm going to be smoking my first 5LB chicken that has been brined for 13 hours and was just wondering since I had some Big Chief small chunks mesquite sitting around I thought I give it a chance. I imagine I should soak the chips it in water so it doesn't burn up so fast. When using these small chips VS. solid block wood, should I increase the amount of weight of wood i'm using or stay with the chart of 2.0-2.5oz. of wood? Thanks!
Kevin from Wisconsin "Go Badgers!" "She said she liked it "low & slow".

Grampy

Re: solid Wood Block chuncks VS. Small Chips/sliver wood
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 04:06:10 PM »
Big Daddy, I hope you didn't use a whole lot of salt in the brine for your chicken or you are going to have one salty bird after a 13 hour swim. Generally 4-6 hours is all the time chicken needs to brine. As far as the Big Chief chips go, I personally do not see the need to soak your woods chips before using them. IMO it just delays the smoke production because the wood chips are going to have to dry out from the heat before they can start smoking, so I never soak any of my wood chunks or chips. As far as the amount I still stick with the recommended amount of wood on the wood chart. Just use a digital scale and weigh out the 2.5-3 ounces of chips and you should be fine.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 04:18:30 PM by Grampy »
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 05:12:18 PM »
Jimmy nailed it!   I too was concerned about the length of brining for a chicken...I usually do 4 hours or so; the longer brines are for bigger meats like boston butts or briskets.  Let us know how you make out.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 06:55:39 PM »
The guys covered the chips, B Daddy, but I, too, am curious about the brine time.  Do you have experience brining a chicken that long?  Do you use a very weak (salt content) brine?  Where did you hear about brining a chicken that long?

You may have a solid method, and I'd like to hear about your technique.  But, if you using any of the "standard" poultry brines, 13 hours is 3x too long.  I brine whole chickens 3-4 hours, at the most.  A turkey will go 13 hours, but not a 5 lb chicken.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

RSNovi

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 07:30:56 PM »
I think closer to 1oz of wood would be better for chicken.  Every poultry smoke I have done has turned out very smoky tasting.  I did my last chickens with 2 oz and it was pretty strong.

I am curious how yours turned out.
Chris - Michigan
SM025
PG500
Tappecue
Maverick 735
iGrill 1

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 07:37:00 PM »
I think closer to 1oz of wood would be better for chicken.  Every poultry smoke I have done has turned out very smoky tasting.  I did my last chickens with 2 oz and it was pretty strong.

I am curious how yours turned out.

Very subjective, based on taste.  If 2 oz was "pretty strong" to you, certainly use less.  I use 2.5-3 oz on chicken, and find it "just right."  My wife, who doesn't like "really" smoky food, also likes it, so I know it's not even as strong as I prefer.  Local BBQ restaurant meat is much more smoky. 

Experimentation is the key!  Everyone needs to find the "right" amount for their tastes.  I consider smoke flavoring "another spice."  It influences the flavor profile of the meat just as much as the amount of pepper in a rub.  Some like lots, others not so much.  Just another part of the flavor puzzle that every individual needs to figure-out for themselves.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

drains

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 09:25:25 PM »
I would rather chance under smoking that bird than over smoking it. The smoke flavor gets exponentially stronger the next day, if there are leftovers. I guess I'm just saying better safe than sorry. Its all about figuring out what YOU like. We can suggest options to try but we only know what works for us, which we had to figure out by experimenting, which is half the fun of owning new equipment and learning how to best use it. I think you'll do fine! Have fun!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 09:27:40 PM by drains »
Dale from East Texas
Smokin It #3

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 03:20:15 PM »
BDS, do your best Paul Harvey and tell us the rest of the story.   ;)
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

RSNovi

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 08:53:19 PM »
Me too.  I am curious about the amount of wood you used especially since you mentioned you had some mesquite.
Chris - Michigan
SM025
PG500
Tappecue
Maverick 735
iGrill 1

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 02:21:21 AM »
Hey Big Daddy, do you have the Smoker box chip insert? If not you might want to put the chips in a foil boat. Good luck on the chicken.
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri