Author Topic: "Georgia Gold" BBQ Sauce  (Read 70698 times)

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
"Georgia Gold" BBQ Sauce
« on: June 24, 2013, 07:22:32 PM »
When I was a baby, my family moved from Dallas, TX to Columbus, GA and for the first ten years of my BBQ-related life the only sauce I had at family cookouts was a product called Foy's BBQ Sauce ... a mustardy, vinegary thin sauce that went on sliced pork butt, grilled sausage, ribs, etc.

While my mom, who moved up to Pennsylvania, still has it shipped by the very expensive case, I came up with this one that fits my preferred flavor profile but still has a mustard-base that makes it somewhat nostalgic.  Rest assured, this is NOT a Carolina-style ... it's pure Central Georgia.

GEORGIA STYLE SWEET MUSTARD BBQ SAUCE

1  Cup   French's Yellow Mustard
2/3 Cup    Dijon mustard
1/2 Cup   cider vinegar
1/3 Cup    molasses
1/3 Cup   clover honey
2 Tbsp    melted salted butter or bacon drippings
1 Tbsp   Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp    garlic powder
1 Tbsp    ground black pepper
1 Tsp   cayenne pepper
1 Tsp   dried oregano
1 Tsp    white pepper
1/2 Tsp   Liquid Smoke (Hickory Flavor)
1/2 Tsp   Lawry's Seasoning Salt

Make a paste with the dry ingredients and some of the vinegar and butter/bacon drippings.  Lightly toast this over medium heat until slightly bubbling and then combine the remaining ingredients.   Raise the heat to medium high and bring to a slow simmer.  Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.  Refrigerate and it should keep for several weeks.   

This will make 22-24 oz. depending on how much you reduce the sauce over heat.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 05:16:26 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: My "Georgia Gold" BBQ Sauce
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 08:41:56 PM »
Oh, that sounds incredible!  I'm also a big fan of sweet/sassy/tangy sauces.  I'll be trying it soon!  Thanks Joe!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

UWFSAE

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 11:59:38 AM »
The liquid smoke is purely optional.  I debated on adding it but I find that mustard/vinegar sauces don't seem to make the smoke flavor pop as much as ketchup based sauces ... it could just be the vagaries of my palate. 

I'll also note that I often bump up the cayenne if it's just for me ... I like a touch more heat with my sweet than most of my guests or girlfriend.
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 07:38:32 PM »
The liquid smoke is purely optional.  I debated on adding it but I find that mustard/vinegar sauces don't seem to make the smoke flavor pop as much as ketchup based sauces ... it could just be the vagaries of my palate. 

I'll also note that I often bump up the cayenne if it's just for me ... I like a touch more heat with my sweet than most of my guests or girlfriend.

I plan on trying it as-is.  I usually try recipes "as written" before I adjust anything.  If I see one that I immediately want to modify, I usually won't try it.  I have a feeling these ingredients will blend together very well!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

psoltesz

• Model #1 Owner
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 01:09:34 PM »
I made a batch of this the other day and put it on a pulled pork shoulder that I had smoked the night before.  Fantastic stuff!  I'm a huge fan of mustard-based sauces, and this one definitely fits the bill. 

Nice recipe!

- Phil
I'm your huckleberry...

UWFSAE

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 01:36:39 PM »
I appreciate the compliment.  Just a piece of advice ... never serve this to someone for the Carolinas as they will take offense to the bastardization of their sauce birthright by those "heathens" in Georgia.   ;D

Joe from Houston, TX

psoltesz

• Model #1 Owner
Re: "Georgia Gold" BBQ Sauce
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 02:16:20 PM »
Not to worry...I live in Sacramento.   ;)
I'm your huckleberry...

UWFSAE

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 05:14:37 PM »
Dang it, Phil ... now I'm hungry for ribs with this sauce.  I posted some pics in the original recipe above of my process ... I will note that I added a full tablespoon of coarsely ground black pepper since I posted this; I like the added bite on the back of your tastebuds.   :)
Joe from Houston, TX

psoltesz

• Model #1 Owner
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 05:49:39 PM »
Nice!

I was actually wondering what effect it would have to substitute Old Bay Seasoning for the Lawry's Salt.  What do you think?

- Phil
I'm your huckleberry...

UWFSAE

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 05:58:52 PM »
Hmm ... well, I don't add that much seasoned salt because of the salt content in the mustards and butter so I'm not sure how pronounced it would be.  I figure if you're going to add Old Bay I'd delete both the white pepper and Lawry's, then add 2 tsp (or even a bit more) of Old Bay in its place.
Joe from Houston, TX

psoltesz

• Model #1 Owner
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 07:05:29 PM »
Good suggestion, thanks.  I may try that on my next batch!

- Phil
I'm your huckleberry...

DvlDog75

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 02:11:53 AM »
I am about try this. I am going to substitute Rufus Teague Meat rub, and a little bit more cayenne.

On a 22" Weber Kettle, indirect heat. Apple chunks on the heat(top grate)I guess we  will see what happens. I have been drooling for three weeks. Needed to wait for FF weeks.... 😣

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 09:25:21 AM »
Joe,
Your mustard recipe looks excellent, I have added it to my file and will use on my next set of ribs!
Best Greg