Author Topic: Hi mountain jerky cure  (Read 3610 times)

Roostershooter

Hi mountain jerky cure
« on: October 20, 2017, 09:52:04 PM »
I have never made jerky before and was going to try the hi mountain jerky seasoning.  I have had good results with their jalapeno summer sausage mix.  In reading the jerky posts here, it seems most smoke around 140 for up to 8 hours.  I will be using a jerky gun and ground meat.  The hi mountain instructions call for a smoke temp of 200 for about an hour and half.  Does anybody have any experience with this mix and smoking at a lower temp or should i just follow the instructions?  Thanks.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Hi mountain jerky cure
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 08:37:27 AM »
I have used a few of their jerky mixes they are pretty good. I wasn't overly impressed but wasn't disappointed either.

I get good results mixing my own flavors then adding 1 teaspoon of cure to every five pounds of meat. Here is the last batch I made, http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=6483.0 my son said it was the best I have ever done.

You will be able to get the exact flavors you like by mixing your own and adding some cure. For example a bottle of https://www.walmart.com/ip/Soy-Vay-Marinade-Sauce-Veri-Veri-Teriyaki-Less-Sodium-21-oz/39174526 with 1 teaspoon of cure makes pretty easy jerky, just marinate it overnight.

Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Roostershooter

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 09:21:41 AM »
Did you follow their directions for smoking at 200 degrees?

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 11:23:35 AM »
No, I don't believe in smoking jerky that hot. That makes cooked jerky not dried. I keep my temp at 100. With the door open, crank the heat until you see your chips start to smoke then close the door and cut the temp to 100.

Best results are with the Jerky Fan, I run mine for the entire smoke.

If you do not have a jerky fan do a couple hours of smoke at 100. After two hours remove the jerky and air dry over a couple days or finsh in a low oven with the door propped oped a bit.
- Sigmund Freud

Roostershooter

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 10:50:15 PM »
Ok, thanks.  I do have a jerky fan.  So, at a temp of 140, what kind of time is involved?  Is it still 8 hours?

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 08:06:45 AM »
It would be less because you are cooking and drying at 140, only drying at 100.
- Sigmund Freud

Roostershooter

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 09:32:06 PM »
Ok, thanks for your help!

Ducksoup

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 04:46:31 PM »
Just adding my own 2 cents to this thread. The cure is fine, but I found that I had to reduce the "Salt" portion of the mix a little. It came out a tad saltier than I'd like.

Otherwise I like it.