Author Topic: North Carolina BBQ - Holy Smoke  (Read 7931 times)

McSev2010

North Carolina BBQ - Holy Smoke
« on: October 02, 2013, 08:49:42 PM »
Thought I'd share a book I read recently that contains real authentic NC BBQ recipes, including desserts and sides, and why one should drink sweet tea with NC BBQ :-)  Moe than a cookbook, it traces the history of NC BBQ, including some of the most resilient BBQ names in NC. Can read it on the Kindle, too :-)

http://www.amazon.com/Holy-Smoke-Carolina-Barbecue-ebook/dp/B002DWAGB6/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=8-1&qid=1380761322

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: North Carolina BBQ - Holy Smoke
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 09:45:31 PM »
Looks like a great book, McSev!  I just ordered the hardback edition.  Can't do a BBQ book on the Kindle - gotta have the color pictures!  ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DivotMaker

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 08:07:23 PM »
Got the book Friday, and am reading through it.  I mentioned I like the color pictures earlier?  Sorry... black and white only in this book.  Looks like a good history lesson, and will definitely straighten you out on the regional differences, but the jury is still out on practical recipes and applications (unless you want to know how to smoke a whole hog).

The authors (all three of them) lost a little credibility, with me at least, when they couldn't explain how a Boston butt pork shoulder got it's name!  They even went so far as disparaging Bostonian butchers for not know the front of a pig from the back!  Really?  May have been an attempt at humor, but was out of place in a book like this.  Here's an older post that addresses this (just for those of you who are curious):

Thanks guys.  Went back after I posted and did some reading on the sauces and rubs.  UWFSAE, got the Maverick today. DivotMaker, thanks for the link.  Explained it well.  Went to get two pork shoulders, but they were out.  So got 2 boston butts instead.  Got the thermometer, meat foil, electricity, rub and appetite.  So now I just need for the smoker to come tomorrow.

Etex, there are actually two cuts that come from the front shoulder of a pig; the picnic shoulder, and the Boston butt pork shoulder.  The Boston butt has absolutely nothing to do with the "butt" as we know it - it's actually the opposite end of Porky!  The Boston butt is the top cut of the shoulder, whereas the picnic cut is the lower part of the leg. 

The Boston butt got it's name in Colonial times when butchers would pack the "less desirable" cuts from the pig in barrels referred to as "butts."  They would then sell them cheap to travelers or ships.  "Less desirable" meaning anything other than the ham from the back legs, or loin from "high on the hog" (another obscure saying from days of old).  Funny thing is, the name stuck everywhere except Boston!

In bbq, I find the Boston butt to be more desirable meat than the picnic, simply for taste.  But, there you have it - how the "Boston butt" became the Boston butt!

So, luck was on your side and you picked the right cut by chance!  And, you'll love the Maverick!  ;D

I'll give a more thorough review when I finish the book!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

sam01musicman

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 07:56:11 PM »
Hi,  I'm new to all this and would like some tips....It just seems like most of the meat I smoke is over powered by smoke...Today I did a 1 inch thick pork chop with wood chips at about 210 degrees for 2 1/2 hours and it was still too much smoke...Suggestions

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 09:00:34 PM »
Hey Sam, go to the "Introductions" section and tell us about yourself, and your BBQ background.  We'll be happy to help with all your questions!
Tony from NW Arkansas