Author Topic: Bit the bullet - Ordered the #3  (Read 15835 times)

Etex

Bit the bullet - Ordered the #3
« on: September 01, 2013, 09:24:31 AM »
Did the research and came up with this.  So far experience with company very good.  Emailed and sent some text and called company.  Got good responses.  Folks in Texas do not play with barbecue and I hope I will not be embarrassed.  Got tired of cutting my own wood and smoking on my home smoker I have had over 20 years.  It just doesn't seem right to smoke with electricity, but there were enough Tx people on here that eat the same type of barbecue, so gotta be o.k.  Not that other places do not know about barbecue, but we have our own style here.  I ordered about 1:30 on Friday and got notification about 4:00 that it had been shipped.  Can't beat that for service.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Bit the bullet - Ordered the #3
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 10:10:27 AM »
Welcome to the world of electric BBQ. You are going to enjoy your Smokin-it.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

es1025

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 10:25:25 AM »
Welcome aboard! makes things a lot easier, almost a set it and forget situation.  I have a #3 since June and I have used it almost every weekend since its arrival.  I am very pleased and enjoying every minute of smoking.  Today menu pulled pork.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 11:23:00 AM »
Welcome from Houston, Etex!  I used to use a conventional offset as well but for ease of use and consistency you can't beat the Smokin-It series.  Honestly, the summers have been so brutal for the past few years that I just didn't want to sit outside and babysit a smoker in triple digit heat ... and I damn sure wasn't going to go without decent 'Q for 1/3 of the year.

The key is to moderate the amount of wood you use (yup, a few golf ball sized chunks and you're good to go for most smokes) and to let go of the need for a good smoke ring.  The beneficial trade off is a much juicier product than almost any other type of smoker so in the long run, for everything from brisket to pork ribs, it's a big advantage.

If you have any questions about the #3 just give one of us a shout.  Congrats!
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

Etex

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 03:14:06 PM »
Just got my #3 about 15 minutes ago.  Got it unpacked and set up.  Having difficulty with the rollers screwing in.  One went in easily.  The other three go to a point and seem to be tight, but have a lot of thread left out.  Also, is it o.k. to lay it on its side? 

UWFSAE

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 06:47:00 PM »
I did.  These units are built like a tank and have no real fragile parts inside ... I think you'll be safe on a carpeted surface.
Joe from Houston, TX

Etex

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 07:19:01 PM »
Thanks.  Appreciate everyone.  The problem with the rollers was that the threads did not go up high enough in the socket hence it could not be screwed up fully.  Called Steve and he got back to me pretty soon.  He is fixing the problem.  Good customer service so far. 

Jerz

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 07:29:39 PM »
Definitely fine on carpet... I rolled mine across the hardwoods and a rug... great wheels... a little hard to get in with that cheap wrench they send (had to get the 3/4" Craftsmen out) but I got them in and YES this thing IS built like a tank and it looks SMALL compared to my 18.5 inch WSMC...
Why reinvent the wheel?  Get yer smoke on....
Smokin' with the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker for about a year.... Model 3 for a minute... Monitoring with the iGrill with the Android App... :D

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 10:14:38 PM »
Welcome to our little party, Etex!  By now, you've probably seasoned your new #3.  You've made a wise investment in quality Q that any Texan would be thrilled to eat!  Like Joe said, don't stress over not seeing a good smoke ring like you get with your stick burner; it doesn't change the taste, and is just for show!  Took me awhile to get over it, but the quality of the meat smoked in these far surpasses the need to see a ring!  Many good times ahead of you!  Be sure to post some pics when you can, and feel free to ask lots of questions and share recipes! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Etex

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 06:04:26 PM »
Well, they say it should be here tomorrow.  Going to get 2 pork shoulders tomorrow and get ready.  After I get it seasoned on Monday afternoon, Gonna put on the pork early Tuesday.  I read on here that it would be good to start out with because of the fat content.  Gotta go read through here for recommendations for seasoning and cooking times.  Do not have a stick in thermometer yet, so will becooking just on time.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

UWFSAE

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 06:46:12 PM »
Pork shoulders are a great first smoke ... very forgiving and help really build up that patina on the inside of your #3.

I will be as honest as I can ... pork needs a thermometer; stalls are unpredictable for large pieces of meat and undercooked pork is no bueno.  Even Walmart will carry some inexpensive instant read thermometers (less than $20) and Bed, Bath and Beyond might even have a remote unit like the Mavericks.

Regardless, I think you're really going to enjoy the results you get from the Smokin-It.  If you need any advice about rubs or wood choices just give a shout.
Joe from Houston, TX

Etex

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 08:55:56 PM »
Thanks.   I said it would be here tomorrow.  That's what I wished.  Actually should have said Monday.  I do have a thermometer, but not one that will read from outside.  My thought is that if I cooked it in the smoker for a period of time and tested it, them I might finish in the oven.  I will look for one that I can use inside tomorrow.
I grew up in the southeast of Virginia.  We cooked  shoulders on a heavy metal grate on blocks sitting over charcoal. We would burn the wood and then put the coals under the meat.  We basted with a simple vinegar sauce as it was cooking.  The char and crispness on the shoulder was great.  We then sliced some and then chopped some.  Of course, we put coleslaw on them and hot sauce.  Know I won't get the char with this,   Simple rubs or sauce suggestions will be appreciated.  Also suggestions for cooking times and temps.  Please explain the stall and how this is handled.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 12:11:18 PM »
Etex - spend a little quality time in the sauces & rubs section on here - lots of goodies to choose from; most are pretty simple, and there's lots of different taste experiences to choose from!

Here's a link to a post about what I've learned about the infamous "stall:"

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=727.msg1768#msg1768

Scroll down the page to my post.  The stall is very real in large cuts of meat (pork butts, brisket), and is somewhat unpredictable.  The links to amazingribs.com on my post do a really good job of explaining the science behind it, and what the Texas crutch is.  Hope this helps!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Etex

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 03:44:03 PM »
Thanks guys.  Went back after I posted and did some reading on the sauces and rubs.  UWFSAE, got the Maverick today. DivotMaker, thanks for the link.  Explained it well.  Went to get two pork shoulders, but they were out.  So got 2 boston butts instead.  Got the thermometer, meat foil, electricity, rub and appetite.  So now I just need for the smoker to come tomorrow. 

UWFSAE

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 04:27:19 PM »
Pork butts and pork shoulders are the same part of the pig ... pork shoulder is the picnic and the butt where the butt is ... just the butt.  A whole shoulder is great but a lot more bone so usually a lower price per pound; unless you've got an army to feed a couple of smaller butts will work beautifully.  I think butts are better for slicing and are equal as pulled, to be honest.  Many grocery stores refer to bone-in shoulder as the Boston Butt or Blade Butt ... hell, in some parts of the country they just label the butt as the shoulder as the butt and just confuse matters even further.

I think you'll love the Maverick; it's great to keep on the nightstand during an overnight smoke and is very accurate device for the price point.  Glad to see you're loaded for bear when the smoker arrives ...  ;D

Joe from Houston, TX