Author Topic: smokin fish  (Read 6148 times)

Randy

smokin fish
« on: September 11, 2013, 08:27:01 AM »
Good morning just thinking about fish but woried about contaminating the smoker with fish smell.My old smoker was just a big chief but could never get the fish smell out after doing some fish. Dont want my Brisket ,ribs, or what ever to have a fishy flavor or smell. Any suggestions. Or have you guys ever notised any thing if you do a lot of smoked fish. thanks randy
If it walks, crawls, slizzers, or even grows from the grownd smoke it.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: smokin fish
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 09:57:07 PM »
Great question, Randy!  That's one thing I haven't smoked yet, so I don't know the answer...but am certainly interested to hear everyone's input on this one! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Randy

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 12:03:26 AM »
what nobady smoke fish? come on guys some body has to have an opinion.

Jerz

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 06:29:03 AM »
what nobady smoke fish? come on guys some body has to have an opinion.

No... we're all waiting on you... go for it!
Why reinvent the wheel?  Get yer smoke on....
Smokin' with the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker for about a year.... Model 3 for a minute... Monitoring with the iGrill with the Android App... :D

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 09:50:36 AM »
Hi Randy,

I am fairly new to smoking and I haven't smoked fish as of yet, however I do have a cousin who only smokes salmon in his electric smoker.  I had recently asked if he uses his smoker for pork or beef and his response was no because he was afraid that the strong odor of the salmon in the smoker may penetrate the meat.

Now I don't know if this is true or not as he hasn't tried it, but he did mentioned that he would be more comfortable giving the unit a good cleaning before he attemped to do so, but then again, that is just his opinion and he really only purchased the smoker for salmon.

Just my two cents worth, I personally really want to try smoking salmon because I hear it comes out great in a smoker, but I am also hesitant because I purchased my smoker primarily to smoke pork or beef.  That being said, I checked some other threads in another forum and noticed that there are individuals who do smoke both meat and fish without hesitation and some even smoke them at the same time.

It really is trial and error and I can't see why you can't do both.  My opinion is not based on experience, however I haven't seen any posts that would answer your question directly, I also didn't see any that raised any concerns either.

Hope this helps.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

Randy

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 10:53:54 AM »
well thanks for the reply. Friend of mine said same thing he wouldnt do fish in it.I dont think I will .

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 04:28:41 PM »
Wonder if you could wipe down the inside of the smoker with vinegar after smoking fish to kill the odor?  Just a thought...
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!