Author Topic: Venison Roast  (Read 6902 times)

Muttley

Venison Roast
« on: September 01, 2013, 08:02:02 AM »
So I did something I've never attempted before: a venison roast. 

I have a lot of venison, and I usually put a roast in a pressure cooker or crook pot so it will cook in juices to help keep it moist.  Yesterday I threw all that out the door.  Put a rub on it not long before cooking.  Some bacon and 1 oz mesquite and 2 oz bourbon barrel.  Set the SI2 for 225.

Pulled at 145F, or med rare on the thermo and I ate a piece of bacon.

Sliced, mostly perfect.  Mostly. 

Lessons learned:

I'd stop at 135-140 next time.  After sitting it went up to medium rather quickly which is what I was not hoping for.  It's still not bad and I am impressed with the resulting texture and taste.  It is close to a Tri-tip.

I didn't pay attention to the grain when I sliced.  Thankfully I didn't get that into the slicing process before I remembered what I was doing wrong. 

I should have put a tray below to collect the juices for an au jus. 

I forgot I am not impressed with the mesquite that I have, it's back to peach. 

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Re: Venison Roast
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 11:26:18 AM »
That's something I definitely haven't tried in the Smokin-It.  Did the strips of bacon give you enough rendered fat to do the trick?  Also, did you apply a rub?
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

Muttley

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 08:48:25 PM »
That's something I definitely haven't tried in the Smokin-It.  Did the strips of bacon give you enough rendered fat to do the trick?  Also, did you apply a rub?

I thought it was plenty moist.  Maybe more so than in a crock pot or pressure cooker.  This is the way I will go from here out.  And I just used some commercial rub I had laying around.  This was last minute and I didn't have a lot of prep time before I needed to start on the smoke.   

Today it was better than I recall last night.  I sliced it properly and used this for Italian beef sandwiches this evening.  Yum. 

Buckruncamp

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 09:03:58 PM »
Like your ad-lib style, I picked up a eye of round at rest. depot and going to warm it up in the#3. Got put in charge of family gathering chow tommorrow. How large was the roast you used and how long  before you pulled? Just an estimate. Trying to time it out. Thanks.

Muttley

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 12:57:32 PM »
Like your ad-lib style, I picked up a eye of round at rest. depot and going to warm it up in the#3. Got put in charge of family gathering chow tommorrow. How large was the roast you used and how long  before you pulled? Just an estimate. Trying to time it out. Thanks.

Sorry, I haven't logged on in while.  That was maybe 2.5#, I let it go until it was 140 internal temp.  It needed to be pulled 5 degrees earlier IMO.  135F is perfect, then I wrap and let it stand for 15-20 minutes.