Author Topic: need a second opinion.  (Read 8973 times)

BIG BOB

need a second opinion.
« on: August 25, 2013, 09:53:50 AM »
Temp is still below 200 and been in two hours.  Msybe my maverick probe too close to top.I had the meat near the top so probe is too.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

BIG BOB

Re: need a second opinion.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 10:39:53 AM »
I pulled ribs to go in foil the edges of bones are blackish so I am assuming that the problem is the location of my maverick probe is in a bad place.  Just worried that they will give my pregnant daughter food poisoning.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 12:23:43 PM »
Well, calibrating your Maverick is easy to do.  Water boils at 212F so you can easily check it that way ... if nothing else it's good for some peace of mind.

You can pick up an inexpensive instant-read thermometer (less than $20 bucks); this is great to use with foods like ribs where a meat probe is difficult or impractical.  The chamber probe should show variance based on the thermostat cycling the heating element on and off.

Ultimately, once you've got good pull back on the bones you're fine; 145 is the magic number for food safety and if you're seeing caramelization at the 2 hour mark you're likely okay ...
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

BIG BOB

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 12:33:54 PM »
I think it was just the placement of the probe.  Just inside vent hole after the foil they are looking and tasting good!   Thanks.  Sorry bout the panic. Lol Will take pictures and hopefully post!
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 05:52:27 PM »
I think it was just the placement of the probe.  Just inside vent hole after the foil they are looking and tasting good!   Thanks.  Sorry bout the panic. Lol Will take pictures and hopefully post!

It's easy to come across a situation that makes us want to hit the panic button!  I had it happen yesterday with the butt I smoked - didn't hit the stall until 185!  Turned out to be great; I was just a little freaked out because that had never happened before.  Live and learn - next time, I'll know.  That's what makes our hobby fun! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

BIG BOB

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 07:22:43 PM »
yeah Divot.... First smoke jitters! and the #2 took care of me.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

Spresso

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 07:27:18 AM »
good it worked out...
sometimes the probes do show you the wrong temperature or a temp of a hot/cold pocket in the meat.
the probe the PP I just did was registering a constant rising temp.  it slowly reached 201 when I said ok pretty soon i'll remove it when all of a sudden the Maverick was showing 185 and not budging for 15 minutes.
not sure what happened. maybe some fat or juices leaked in there....puzzling.
I pulled the meat anyways and was definitely ready....
very nice PP.
Yeah if you are worried then get a instant read temp probe on the cheap.  will give you a quick second opinion  ;)
Zed from Southern Ontario
Smokin-It-all on the #3
Grillin-the-rest on the Weber

BIG BOB

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 08:14:42 AM »
Spresso... just don't have enough experience under my belt yet so I jump to the worst conclusions...LOL. I will check into an instant read. Amazon a good place to start looking? Thermapens good?

thanks- ribs were great.   *** 2oz. of hickory was plenty.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 07:51:22 PM »
Big Bob, I did a review on Thermoworks InstaReads here:  http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=780.0

These InstaRead thermometers are as useful in their own way as the Maverick remote units ... they're worth every penny and more.  If you buy through the manufacturer they will save you a bit of money on two (and yes, you may actually need/use two to prevent cross contamination).

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt301wa.html
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

BIG BOB

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 08:50:36 PM »
thanks Joe ... I will check em out.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

Spresso

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 08:15:36 AM »
Had I not own 2 very fast and accurate digital instant thermometers, I would definitely get one of the thermapen models.
I don't know how but I lucked out a few years ago and found a thermometer at one of those discount stores that sells surplus merchandise.
I got one.  tested it at home. The first one was accurate to .2-.3 F You could check body temp with that.  :D
Then quickly went out and get a second unit , just in case.
I paid a grand total of 4.99.....
Zed from Southern Ontario
Smokin-It-all on the #3
Grillin-the-rest on the Weber

es1025

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 10:39:12 AM »
Bob
I attached the BBQ probe on the shelf where I put my meats. I tried the dangling method but the temp was inconsistent. Try using the clip and see if that works.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 07:55:41 PM »
I have a similar digital instant thermometer and they work great for a quick read.  My Maverick wasn't cooperating during a recent smoke and this unit save the day.  For the little cost, it makes sense to have one as a backup.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 08:18:13 PM »
A backup thermo is always a good idea!  I thought my Maverick was freaking out one day, so I plugged in my Acu-rite single probe to check - both read identical!  If nothing else, it's peace of mind with all this electronic stuff we deal with now! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!