Author Topic: sweet spot  (Read 7793 times)

BIG BOB

sweet spot
« on: August 24, 2013, 01:13:53 PM »
during my seasoning of the #2, I am trying to find the swweeeet spot on the dial so my temp will stay around 225. at 225 - I am in the 260s... it did get down to 217 then up to 260. big swing, I now have it at 220 on dial to see what that gives me.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

BIG BOB

Re: sweet spot
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 01:15:40 PM »
also, no problem to let the smoker run for longer than the 4 hr seasoning run.... right. lookin for sweet spot.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 01:38:41 PM »
Bob - you're probably not going to find the "sweet spot" with the smoker empty.  When you have a meat load in there, and a water pan (even if it's filled with sand), you'll be able to dial it in.  The meat and water pan add mass to stabilize the temp.  With the box empty, there's nothing to absorb the heat, so you'll see big temp swings.

I'm cooking a 8.75 lb butt now, and I posted (in the pork section) that I'm only seeing a +/- 5-degree swing in set temp in my #1.  Try your sweet spot experiment when you have the smoker loaded.  Also, 4 hours for the seasoning is plenty.  All you're trying to do is coat the internals with creosote to remove the "machine oil and stainless steel" smell.  You're first smoke will continue that process.

Good luck!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 03:51:01 PM »
BigBob, those temp swings have a lot to do with total product being smoked as well as ambient temps.  Just like a freezer that is mostly full is easier to keep cool than an empty freezer, a smoker that is mostly full will tend to be a bit more stable as well.  If you have Miss Lilly's Flavor Savor, or even a disposable aluminum loaf pan, you can fill it with beer or water to act as a stabilizing agent and have the added benefit of adding to a moist humid cooking environment.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

BIG BOB

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 05:58:23 PM »
Makes sense guys... I gonna load it up w/ babybacks tomorrow- no water pan gonna do the 2-2-1 this time and try the waterpan next time.

thanks- will let you know how it goes. even try to post pic if my  wife will help me...LOL
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

BIG BOB

Re: sweet spot / tough membrane
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 08:07:53 PM »
Had the toughest time with membranes on my six ribs.... never had that much trouble... called my buddy who cooked at a BBQ place in Florida and he said -they never took off membrane, just score them and all will be fine, so I did.
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

UWFSAE

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 02:36:06 AM »
I've done ribs both with and without the membrane; even without scoring the membrane, they're easy to cut for the final prep.  The big advantage to leaving the membrane attached it is reduces moisture loss.

The biggest disadvantage, and one that usually drives me to take the time to remove it, is that it serves as a barrier to rub/marinade penetration; you will notice a more robust flavor if you get rid of it but by no means is it worth it if you're doing large quantities of ribs.

When removing, a pair of needle nose pliers will work wonders but the most consistent tools are a butter knife and some Viva paper towels ... once you get them started with the knife (at the second or third small bone) you'll find that the towel gives you a really good grip and you can usually remove it in one solid sheet.
Joe from Houston, TX

BIG BOB

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2013, 09:49:39 AM »
Terrible membrane have done a lot.  New problem. ...... ribs been in almost two hours and temp in smoker is only 190. Probably due to two factors. Loaded smoker or the probe is so near the top. 
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

UWFSAE

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 12:26:55 PM »
My advice is to keep your chamber probe on the middle shelf, about two inches away from the side wall (and use the clip!).  Directly over the smoker box can skew your results, as can a placement too close to the vent or the product.  Remember, internal temp for food is always more important than chamber temp; just keep an eye on the ribs (look for caramelization, pull back on the bones, the "bend test", etc.) and you'll be fine.
Joe from Houston, TX

BIG BOB

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 12:56:49 PM »
Oh... the clip...lol.  oop.  That's what I get for no beer intake.  My bad.  :)
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

UWFSAE

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 01:13:45 PM »
No worries Big Bob ... every single person on this board discovers new things about the hobby of smoking, as well as our Smokin-Its, with each smoke.  The main thing is you're enjoying the journey ... and the 'Q you find along the way.   ;)
Joe from Houston, TX

BIG BOB

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 02:18:22 PM »
Thanks pal.... I still think we need a Smokin-it Hotline!!! LOL
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 05:48:16 PM »
Thanks pal.... I still think we need a Smokin-it Hotline!!! LOL

You've already found the hotline, Bob! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!