Author Topic: #2 is ordered... oh yeah.  (Read 11502 times)

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: #2 is ordered... oh yeah.
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 11:06:19 PM »
Season according to the instructions for the smoker.  As for the amount of wood for the first cook, you might want to start out light with 2 to 4 ounces of wood. Some folks weigh the wood, if the physical size differs from piece to piece.  Too much smoke can ruin the food.

Read thru the posts for the model you purchased to get an idea of wood quantity.

Enjoy.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

BIG BOB

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 07:20:37 AM »
ok... 3 dowels it is... and we have a scale - so i will be weighing the wood. i assume for Ribs just a couple ounces in the #2. i will read through some posts and see what the consensus says.  thanks!
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 09:05:04 AM »
A couple of ounces for the ribs is a good start.   If you want more smoke taste, you can add more on the second smoke...but better to start off with a small amount and work up.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

BIG BOB

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 10:41:32 AM »
yes... my wife is not huge a lot of smoky taste.

so, guys - here's my plan:
SATURDAY
1. buy babybacks-- 3 racks,
2. get rid of membranes & cut in half,
3. apply mustard and rub,
4. plastic wrap  overnight.

SUNDAY
1. put ribs in smoker at 225 for two hours bone side down with about two ounces of wood.
2. foil ribs meat side down w/ apple juice& beer mixture ***QUESTIONS: (about how much liquid?) (can i use a foil pan with foil on top?) for two hours at 225
3. unfoil ribs slather w/ bbq on some - will leave some naked- put back in smoker bone side down at 225 for the last hour.
*** QUESTION: any rest needed - I am guessing no...

all advice is welcome---- I won't do this for every cook, but I want to start off impressing the crap out of my lovely wife.

***ONE LAST QUESTION: HOW MUCH BEER CONSUMPTION IS CONSIDERED TOO MUCH DURING THIS SMOKE SESSION?
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 01:32:29 PM »
That's a pretty solid method.  Here are some recommendations for Sunday:

- Apply a last hit of dry rub over the ribs you held overnight before you load the smoker.
- While I am an advocate of unfoiled ribs, you only need a few ounces of liquid in a foil pouch to get the job done.
- A shallow foil pan would work fine but don't stack the ribs; let them all come in contact with the liquid.
- While the sauce will be set after an hour, a quick trip to the grill or under the broiler (4-6 minutes) will really help caramelize that sauce and give it a different flavor and texture dimension.
- Let them rest a few minutes after your final heat stage; 10 minutes is ample.

And the most important question:  more beer than you have in-house is "too much", but anything less than that is fine.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

BIG BOB

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 02:16:55 PM »
tHANKS - I WILL KEEP IT ALL IN MIND.... ESPECIALLY THE IN HOUSE BEER!!. ...

ANOTHER QUESTION, ANDY GOOD STORE BOUGHT RUBS FOR RIBS?
OR GOOD, SIMPLE RECIPES FOR RIB RUB?
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

BIG BOB

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 02:25:05 PM »
ANY NOT ANDY
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 05:01:41 PM »
Well, the commercial rubs are a mixed bag ... and the really good ones are mail/internet orders or in specialty BBQ/Grilling stores.  Head Country is quite good, and Super Pig is outstanding.

I prefer homemade rubs (I like a less salty flavor and I don't want any additives/preservatives if I can help it), and there are some really good ones that we've posted under the Rubs section off the main page.  My "go to" rib rub is my Sweet Heat mix; if you prefer savory or spicy over sweet I can give you my Texas Rib Rub (goes really well with oak or mesquite).  Both are simple to make with ingredients you can find in any grocery store; my Honey BBQ Rib Rub requires honey powder, which is a bit of a specialty item.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 08:35:23 PM »
Sounds like a good plan, Bob.  I'm with Joe on unfoiled - why make life more complicated than it needs to be?  I've used both, and prefer the unfoiled method, both for taste and appearance.  If you put a water pan next to the smoke box (with water, apple juice or beer in it), you won't have dry ribs.  They'll look great, and be tender and juicy.

As for the rub question:  I prefer home-made rubs, for sure.  There are many really good ones on here, so just find one that suits your taste and go with it.  If you're in a hurry, commercial rubs are a crap shoot.  But...I have to admit that I do like the taste of Famous Dave's Rib Rub on pork.  Also, on beef (and other things), you can't beat Jim Baldridge's Secret Seasoning.  Check out my post on it in the rub section of the forum.  Best seasoning I've ever had on steak!

And now for the most important question...beer consumption.  You know you've reached "too much" when you fall down and have to hold onto the grass to keep from falling off the world.  ;)   Up to that point, you're good.  Have a good time!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!