Author Topic: Pork Butt!!!  (Read 4893 times)

bigboy74

Pork Butt!!!
« on: August 18, 2013, 08:17:07 PM »
Smoked my first pork butt today. I injected the butt and let it sit in the fridge for 36 hours. Pulled it out rubbed it down with mustered to hold the rub on. Placed it back in fridge for 30/45 minutes while preparing the smoker. Used about four to five ounces of hickory. Smoked over night at 180 degrees. Turned the smoker to 225 degrees when I got out of the bed. When the IT reached 180 degrees I tired the smoker up to 250 degrees. Pulled the butt out when IT reached 205 degrees. Double rapped the butt in tin foil, wraped it in a towel, and placed it in a cooler for 1 hour. When I took the butt out of the tin foil it started falling apart. It turned out really good. Served with baked beans, mash tators, and loaf bread.

BIG BOB

Re: Pork Butt!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 08:59:20 PM »
a Butt might be my 1st cook, hope I do a be here this week, any pointers are welcomed! #2 should
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 09:11:49 PM »
Bob, pork butt is a very forgiving first smoke in any smoker.  BigBoy's prep was a very solid method ... you can use a homemade or commercial injection, the same for a rub ... but the slow and low cook really promotes amazing flavor.

Congrats on the butt, BigBoy ... be sure to post pics if you've got them!
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

BIG BOB

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 09:25:03 PM »
bein a rookie... I  may need "forgiveness"   LOL
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 09:07:11 PM »
Great first smoke, Bigboy!  Solid method for an overnighter.  I'm going to use something like that next time I do one overnight. 

Bob, a butt is a fantastic first cook!  They are forgiving (dang near impossible to mess up), and very satisfying to have a great result on a first smoke!  Check out the pork section for our posts, and find something that looks good (lots of choices now).  Several methods and recipes out there to suit your taste, and butts are pretty easy from start to finish.

Let us know if you have any questions!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

bigboy74

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 09:45:46 PM »
Sorry had to resize my pictures to upload them... Here they are. I did use a homemade injection. I used half a cup apple juice, half a cup of water, tsp of Worcestershire sauce, tsp of soy, tbs of salt, and 2 tbs of rub. Divot this is not my first smoke! Just my first butt...

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 09:53:01 PM by bigboy74 »

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 09:35:47 PM »
Oops...my mistake, Bigboy!  It was late, and I read in a hurry. :-[   Congrats on the first butt, though!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!