Author Topic: Joined the Crowd!  (Read 4585 times)

jmkdae

Joined the Crowd!
« on: August 18, 2013, 02:49:37 PM »
Just ordered a #2. Hopefully here by Labor Day for the first smoke.

Want to thank everyone for the help. I had posted asking about the choice between #1 and #2 and the answers helped me order a #2.

Jim in Oregon
Jim from NW Arkansas
Smokin-it #2

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Re: Joined the Crowd!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 02:53:41 PM »
Congrats, Jim!  I think you'll be very pleased with your choice.  Shipping is very speedy so with a bit of luck you'll have the smoker late this week so you can get it seasoned and be ready for the holiday weekend.  Give any of us a shout if you need any info!
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 04:59:38 PM »
Welcome, Jim!  I know you'll find this to be one of the finest BBQ purchases you could ever make.  Hang out here when you can, and let us know how that first smoke goes!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 08:39:12 AM »
Welcome jim, you should be getting an email with the shipping info. You can then plot your strategy for labor day.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Bigumdaddyo

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 01:50:48 AM »
Welcome Jim. Happy days ahead. I've had mine a couple months and what a pleasure it is. The possibilities are endless.
Larry from WA
Smokin-it #3
Char-griller stick burner

BIG BOB

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 07:27:56 AM »
Welcome to the club Jim.... I just got my #2 last week, seasoned it, and did 5 racks of babybacks last Sunday- they were great. You will not be disappointed.  The guys on this forum are very helpful, so don't be afraid to ask questons.
Big Bob in Indiana
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

jmkdae

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 03:37:57 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement. This forum is great. Seasoned it this past weekend. Set for some Costco baby backs this weekend. Rub overnight then thought I would just go with 5 hours at 225 with a water pan to start. No foiling. Seems like many folks do that with success.
Jim from NW Arkansas
Smokin-it #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 04:06:49 PM »
Welcome to the group!   I have had a #2 since January, and enjoy smoking something pretty much every weekend...I am sure you will enjoy it.   Ribs is a good first smoke, and I think trying the 5 hour smoke rather than the 2-2-1 method will work fine for you.   I would suggest adding some BBQ sauce in the last hour.  I have not used a water pan, so you might be able to skip that step.

When you set your temp to 225F, don't be surprised to see a wide temp swing if you are using a remote temperature unit (like the Maverick) to monitor the temp in smoker.   When I set for 225, it's not unusual to see the maverick temp swing from 210 to 240, but it will average out at 225 over the 5 hour period.

Good luck, welcome, and enjoy!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2