Author Topic: Smoked Beef Hamburgers  (Read 2837 times)

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
Smoked Beef Hamburgers
« on: August 18, 2013, 02:45:34 PM »
I picked up some hamburgers from Costco to smoke and  I'm thinking of using 2-3 OZs of hickory wood, but not sure what temperature to set the smoker at (thinking 225) and what internal temperature of the meat to target before I pull them out.  I am looking to cook to a medium.  Alternatively, should I smoke them first to add the smoke flavour, then finished them on the grill? 

Any suggestion are appreciated.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Re: Smoked Beef Hamburgers
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 03:07:55 PM »
I've done smoked burgers on a couple of occasions and while I loved the flavor I always thought the texture left something to be desired unless you followed up with a high heat finishing step.  I did them at 215 and I pulled them at 135-140 and then reverse seared over medium-high heat in a preheated cast iron skillet with a little bacon fat (butter would also work).  Hickory dowels were my wood of choice for this though I've also used pecan with good results.

I think the grill would do what you need as well but I've always preferred to keep the burgers on a flattop or a skillet to let the juices sear into a nice crust.  No matter what, the secondary cooking step will get you up to 145-150 (your upper limit for medium) quickly so keep a close eye on your burgers.

The smoke won't be overwhelming and allow them to stay quite juicy.  I did let some worcestershire sauce and spices soak into the meat before putting into the smoker so that may have helped a bit.  I've also rubbed them with Pickapeppa Sauce or A-1 Thick & Hearty before smoking as well and both flavors were great.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!