Author Topic: Just ordered Smokin it #2 - can't wait!  (Read 11656 times)

viticulture

• Smoked meat and aged wine makes for a good evening
Just ordered Smokin it #2 - can't wait!
« on: February 19, 2013, 06:12:59 PM »
Just purchased the #2 model last night and my estimated delivery is 2/25 - friggin can't wait! Started smokin w/ a Little Chief electric smoker then went to a vertical charcoal unit both of which were fine except for the task of temperature control. Been reading up on just about every smoker out there and I think that I'll be at home with the #2 model. The main factors influencing my purchase were size, price, reviews, construction and customer service. I had emailed the owner Steve a couple of times within the past 6 months and he was quick to reply and a straight shooter. With this post I guess I'm just stickin my head through the door sayin hello. Look forward to sharing / learning from all within this forum. I can smell the ribs cookin already....

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Just ordered Smokin it #2 - can't wait!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 06:59:17 PM »
Welcome.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

bordercollie

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 11:46:15 PM »
You are going to love it!  I  am blown away by the quality of this smoker!    Be sure to get your self a good probe thermometer as soon as you can. It will take all the guesswork out of getting to the right internal temperature for super tender meat. I have the' leave it' in corded type and I keep the meat on till the  internal temperature is around 195 and have fall off the bone pork butts.  Delicious!!    bordercollie ;D

viticulture

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 12:01:19 AM »
I oredered the Maverick ET-732 from Amazon yesterday as well. Seems Maverick pretty much has the market on dual probe thermometers. I saw in another forum where a guy took and put high temp red RTV silicone on the area where the probe meats the coil/ wire to prevent the water intrusion issues Maverick seems to have. I plan on doing the same thing. Haven't cooked a pork butt before but am sure to give it a try. Any tips are sure welcomed! Oh man - another 6 days.

bordercollie

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 12:32:09 AM »
I do brine the pork butts in a  water/salt/ garlic powder/cider vinegar/black pepper/brown sugar ) etc solution for about 8 to 12 hrs.  ...... I also inject it with one of the injectors . There are a lot of brine recipes on the internet  but I don't measure too much anymore and it still comes out good. I just watch the salt. Then, I cook overnight while I sleep I am interested in sealing the thermometer cable like you mentioned.  Thanks for the thoughts on that.   bc  :)

viticulture

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 01:08:19 PM »
Hey BC - when you inject, what are you using? I haven't had the op to do a PB yet and am very much interested in using an injector. From what I've seen/ heard, it's usually a mixture of apple juice and apple cider but at what ratio? How much (approx)?

bordercollie

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 11:05:47 PM »
On the  Pork brine, I use enough water to cover the meat. so say if it was a half gallon, I would add like a 1/4 c of brown sugar, 1/2 c of apple cider vinegar and the same  of Kosher salt. some coarse black pepper and a couple of heaping TBS of paprika and granulated garlic. I mix it good and put the meat in the container with it. I swish it all around and inject that same brine into the meat with a stainless injector that I got from the "sausage maker company". I  remove it from the brine and put the meat on one of the #3's sturdy shelves and  let it straddle the sink to drain. Then I coat with  mustard and put on a rub.  I use to brine overnight and cook during the day but found the meat would slow cook for 12 or more hrs and not be pulled and ready to put in the refrigerator till I was dozing off at the counter  (at midnight)... Now, I brine during the day and smoke at peace while I sleep with this smoker all  night till an Internal Temperature (IT)  of near 185. Then, I put the meat on a cookie sheet with sides and squirt with a mixture of apple juice and rub. Then continue in the smokin- it till it gets near 195-200 IT. While cooking at night, I set the cooker temperature at less than 200 so it won't overcook in case I over sleep. It never has yet- it usually takes at least 12 hrs This is what I do for pork butts.

edit: I cook on the racks and only add the cookie pans when I squirt the meat  during the last hours.    judy
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:11:57 PM by bordercollie »

viticulture

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 11:19:07 AM »
I still have 4 days before the smoker is scheduled to arrive. Kinda feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning - it's a good feeling! I plan on doing your recipe for PB late next week. I've commissioned my son to fabricate a jerky fan unit based on the one sold on this site. At 13 he has quite the knack for engineering. Will post pics when done.

bordercollie

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 02:04:35 PM »
That sounds great!  . Be sure and allow time to season the inside really good.. I seasoned mine 2x  before using it for meat ......and  also get a roll of the wide foil for lining the bottom of the #3 ( not sure of the number 2's width) and use a pencil for poking the drain hole.  I use the regular width for covering the  wood box. It is really a work saver leaving very little to clean up. For   any drippings that might get past the foil, I bought a cheap putty knife and just quickly scrape. so easy .  :)    bc.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 02:09:46 PM by bordercollie »

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 06:02:38 PM »
I bet you received your model 2 today!  I ordered a couple of months ago and was impressed with how quickly it arrived, and the assembly took all of five minutes.   I have used it three times now, and will be doing two smokes this weekend.  I love it!   I also purchased the Maverick and it has worked perfectly.  I notice that the model 2 have a bout a 10 degree swing on the temperature setting, so don't be surprised to see the Maverick registering temps from 210 to 230 when you set the model 2 to a temp of 220.   Law of averages makes it all work out!  Cheers!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Grimm5577

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 10:32:19 AM »
I oredered the Maverick ET-732 from Amazon yesterday as well. Seems Maverick pretty much has the market on dual probe thermometers. I saw in another forum where a guy took and put high temp red RTV silicone on the area where the probe meats the coil/ wire to prevent the water intrusion issues Maverick seems to have. I plan on doing the same thing. Haven't cooked a pork butt before but am sure to give it a try. Any tips are sure welcomed! Oh man - another 6 days.

I would definitely suggest using the silicone on the wire end of the probe. I had to get replacement probes from Maverick under warranty within 4 months of purchasing because of liquid. I siliconed the new ones so we'll see how it goes.

viticulture

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 01:28:35 PM »
Thanks Grimm - I'm planning on doing the red RTV today. Glad to hear that another member has done it too.

schway

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 02:17:36 PM »
Ordered my #2 on Monday should be here tomorow Friday. What do I need to unload this? Does it come on a pallet? I see with the extras it was 102lbs. So didnt know if I need to go down and borrow a forklift.

Grimm5577

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 04:29:45 PM »
it will come in a large box with plenty or protection. I basically rolled and teter-totted mine into house unpacked it and put the wheels on and rolled it out back. You should be fine.

schway

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 05:49:58 PM »
Just to answer my own question my #2 just came today. ;D The Fedex guy took it off the truck and carried it to the door. I carried it in the house so no forklift needed lol. Looks good and within 15 min after taking time to read instructions already got it plugged in and seasoning.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 07:26:34 PM by schway »