Author Topic: temperature probe location  (Read 3121 times)

es1025

temperature probe location
« on: August 05, 2013, 07:54:06 AM »
I have been feed my temperature probe thru the smoke hole. This gets to be limited when you smoke a pork butt during the foiling process. I was wondering if I closed the door on the probe wire would that cause any issues.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

smokeasaurus

Re: temperature probe location
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 08:27:28 AM »
The door seals way too tight. You will ruin the probe. I usually will put larger items on the lowest rack. You could do that when you foil, that should give you room for the probe.

I don't foil my butts and briskies anymore when using the Smokin-it..of course they are in for 18-22 hours..... 8)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 11:26:57 AM by smokeasaurus »

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 08:42:23 PM »
Ed, I've thought about this, too.  The "blow hole" (as I call the vent hole on top) seems about our only viable option.  My wish is that one of these temp probe manufacturers could design a smaller probe!  The big "L" shaped ones take too much real estate!  The door seal - at least on mine - would crush a probe wire faster than you could say "what the....???
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 09:31:34 PM »
I'm with Smoke on this ... Smokin-It models produce superior product without foiling; I've all but abandoned it so it takes the probe placement out of the equation.

That being said, HD foil should be wide enough to form safely around the probe with decent sized pork butts without tearing or creating a gap for moisture loss.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!