Author Topic: Bigboy burgers!!!!  (Read 5501 times)

bigboy74

Bigboy burgers!!!!
« on: July 28, 2013, 11:03:13 PM »
2lbs of hot sausage
About 5 lbs of 80/20 ground chuck
6to8 0z of fresh grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup Texas Pete
About an 1/8 cup of worcestershire sauce
Salt and black pepper 
I cooked them at 235 degrees with 2oz of hickory until they reach 170 degrees
Very juicy and tasty.
Didn't know if I should have put this in beef or pork. I went with beef because it has more beef in it.
This make a lot of 6" dia 3/4 inch thick burgers. I take and freeze most of them uncooked. They turn out just as good thawing them and cooking when you want one.

gloksrule

• Bacon defines me,,Ronnie from OKC,OK
Re: Bigboy burgers!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 03:01:17 PM »
would this still work if the patty wasn't so thick? maybe a half inch?  ive been told burgers and smoking don't work together cause the burgers dry out too much,, recipe sounds great

bigboy74

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 03:30:01 PM »
I don't know... To prevent them from drying out I used ground chuck (80/20), sausage (locally homemade), and made them thick.

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 03:44:26 PM »
Bigboy, as long as you had them at the temps you did you shouldn't have to worry about putting raw pork with raw beef; hell, plenty of folks add minced bacon to their ground beef as the form the patties.  Based on the visual evidence, this looks like a rousing success.

Glok, with an 80/20 mix, plus the fat from the sausage and the addition of the parm cheese it shouldn't dry out.  These components would also help if you take it to the grill after the smoke; I like an aggressive sear on my burgers so a quick trip to a high heat cast iron skillet would give it a neat textural component. 

One last suggestion; taking the freshly smoked burgers and vac sealing them will also give you some VERY quick meals that are a good alternative when you don't have time to fire up the smoker.  Throw them in a skillet with a little reserved bacon grease and you'll bring them to temp and get a sear in one fell swoop.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 07:17:34 PM »
Big, those look mighty tasty!  I've often wondered about burgers; definitely some good info here!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

gloksrule

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 08:30:17 PM »
got some 80/20's on right now with some extra hot hot links,,had Ozark sugar maple chunks so that's what im using,sure does smell intoxicating

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 09:39:26 PM »
I'm curious how they come out inside.  I'm a fan of a medium burger (gotta have some pink), so I'm wondering if they're gray inside or pink?
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

bigboy74

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 09:53:39 PM »
Mine had a small amount of light pink in them.

gloksrule

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 09:54:46 PM »
dandy good burger!!! my 80/20 was gray cooked at 225 for an hour, used montreal seasoning on unfrozen performed patties ,with handmade patties and good seasoning such as urs, this method is bada$%.....thanks bigboy for giving me the cajones to finally try this.............

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 10:00:07 PM »
Good stuff, guys!  It's definitely got me thinking...
Tony from NW Arkansas

bigboy74

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 10:04:07 PM »
Glad you enjoyed them glok. I know I did. Had a left over for lunch today and it was great reheated in the microwave.

smokeasaurus

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 08:25:38 AM »
Nothing like taking a bite into a big smoked burger. They also don't shrink near as much compared to grilling em.....

bigboy74

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 05:34:53 PM »
You are right Smoke nothing like it. No condiments needed. Just burger in bread.  I also noticed little shrink.