Author Topic: Creole White Beans with Tasso & Smoked Andouille Sausage  (Read 6366 times)

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Creole White Beans with Tasso & Smoked Andouille Sausage
« on: July 24, 2013, 10:14:23 PM »
So I finished my tasso experiment using boneless country style ribs and it was a definite success.  The first thing I threw together was a pot of Creole White Beans with Tasso & Andouille Sausage.  The photos for the tasso didn't turn out but I do have the final use pic posted below.  The andouille I bought unsmoked from a local Cajun butcher and smoked it myself using hickory at 225 for a little over three hours until it hit 150 internal temperature.  I'd love to try to make and smoke homemade andouille but I can't find the sausage stuffer for my KitchenAid.

I refrigerated the sausage and tasso overnight and did a thin slice on all of it to add to white beans and served over rice.  This is more of a fall/winter dish but I had a NEED to try that tasso ...  ;D

Creole White Beans with Tasso & Smoked Andouille Sausage
1 lb. dried Great Northern beans, soaked overnight
1/2 lb. tasso, diced
1.5 lbs. andouille sausage, sliced
8 cups chicken stock (I recommend Kitchen Basics brand)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
2 tbsp bacon fat
2 tbsp salted butter
1 tbsp dried thyme
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp kosher salt
1 tbsp white pepper
1 tbsp ground black pepper
2 tsp cayenne pepper
Crystal Hot Sauce for final plating
cooked white rice for final plating

Soak dried beans overnight in cold water, drain and reserve.  Saute minced onions and half your diced tasso in bacon fat until for several minutes, then add celery and garlic and cook until both are translucent.  Add all remaining ingredients except tasso and andouille and bring to a simmer; cook uncovered for two hours or until the beans are fork tender.  Remove a few ladles of beans and puree in a blender, then add back to the bean pot.  Stir well and add the remaining meat, then cover and simmer over low heat for another 30 minutes.  Ladle the beans and meats over white rice and serve with garlic toast or crackers.

NOTE:  I always add WAY too much meat to these types of dishes ... normal folks should reduce the andouille to just one pound.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!