Author Topic: Which model....Decisions decisions  (Read 10577 times)

ccd

Which model....Decisions decisions
« on: March 23, 2013, 06:05:48 PM »
After many hours of research, I have decided to purchase a "Smokin It" smoker. Now the issue is which one. I am leaning towards the Model #1 but I am a little concerned about the size. I am new to smoking but I can see where smoking an entire Turkey or multiple racks of ribs might get a little tight in the small one. My general use is for our family of four but in the summer there may be instances where I need to feed more. As this is my first smoker, I wanted to keep the investment cost under control.

Anyone have regrets in not choosing the larger size? Whats the largest Turkey or other item that someone has successfully smoked in the #1 model?

schway

Re: Which model....Decisions decisions
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 06:12:51 PM »
If you can afford it get the #3. I got the number 2 and wish I would have gotten the #3 only for one reason. I would like to be able to put full racks in without having cut them. I bought a full uncut brisket and had to put it up on the sides a little. It did cook down and was ok and fit with no problem. I always go on the advice of my father and if you question if its big enough go bigger if you can and you wont regret it. Its always the time when you dont and wish you did.

Rob Babcock

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 01:33:21 AM »
Well, you're probably just gonna hear from a bunch of "enablers" on this forum! ;D  I debated for a while which one to get and ultimately bit the bullet and bought the #3.  I'm sure the #1 is a great unit, but Smokin-It smokers are so well built that I expect to get many years out of mine.  Thus the cost, divided over many years, is not really all that much more for the largest model.  You can always smoke less in a big smoker but you can't do more in a smaller one.  Maybe you don't need the largest but for me it was worth the extra cash.

mac24312

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 10:46:56 AM »
I really want the 3 but I am  strapped on cash right now :(  :-\
Guess I will have to hold off and buy it later since shipping is so high..

Rob Babcock

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 03:58:01 AM »
I really want the 3 but I am  strapped on cash right now :(  :-\
Guess I will have to hold off and buy it later since shipping is so high..

Buy once, cry once!  It's a large investment but it will last you many, many years.  The best is often the cheapest in the long run.

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 12:59:59 PM »
Rob hit the nail on the head.  I've been lucky (obsessed?) enough to run the smoker every weekend since I bought it and so far it has proven to be a remarkable investment.

In the grand scheme of things, the price of the #3, even with shipping, is still below its primary competitors while providing comparable performance.

Pull the trigger and buy it ...
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

Braai

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 05:16:31 PM »

Buy once, cry once!  It's a large investment but it will last you many, many years.  The best is often the cheapest in the long run.

I just got my #1 last week, used it three times already - loving it. I don't regret getting it but am wondering if I should have bought the #3 now. So, if there is a choice and you can afford it, then buy #3 (I don't own it) - then you don't have to wonder (like I am doing right now).

kujobie

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 09:14:34 PM »
I got a #2 a few weeks ago and have no regrets.  It's plenty big enough for two 40-somethings and a 25 year old son that refuses to move out.  My first smoke was four full racks of St. Louis ribs, plenty for the three of us with lots of leftovers and it came out stellar.  I can't imagine having regrets about buying any of these smokers..

DrDave

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 12:37:34 PM »
I got the Model 1, and wish I got the Model 2.  If I got the Model 2, I would have wished I got the Model 3.

You won't be sorry with any of them.  I'm in the middle of smoking 87 lbs of pork shoulder for a fund raiser this weekend and the Model 1 is up to the task.  If I got a bigger one, it would be an easier task though.  ;)

bordercollie

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 01:08:05 PM »
I love my #3 and can cook enough for gifts. Buying pork butts when on sale and delivering the smoked morsels of goodness has brought a lot of smiles. ( Vacuum sealed the meat freezes wonderfully!)  The more seasoned the unit becomes the better and better - awesome!!  ;D

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 10:46:58 PM »
bordercollie - We vacuum seal our meat as well and it keeps for a good long time, for last minute get togethers or when you have a hankerin' for a pulled pork sandwich and no time to start a new butt. 
Looks like the # 3 has been a sell out success. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 09:21:04 AM »
I was torn between the #1 & #2. It came down to the portability of the #1 because I plan to take the smoker to our beach house several times a year. Also, this being my first smoker played into it as well.  If I really use it a lot, I'll get a #2 or #3 and leave the #1 at the beach house.

I ordered it on Sunday and it's supposed to be here today. Two days, that unbelievably fast!
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 11:08:46 PM »
Congratulations and happy smoking.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill