Author Topic: Smoker Essentials: Buffalo Tools Double Beer Can Chicken Cooker  (Read 3517 times)

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Let me preface this by saying I believe in the flavor and consistency of beer can chicken.  Yes, this method is more effective on the grill than in the smoker.  Yes, I know that the beer doesn't come to a boil under most smoker conditions.  Yes, I know that some of you see this as a waste of good beer.

But I don't care.

I do think that the vertical placement of whole chickens and ducks (and even turkeys) will yield a better all-over smoke than just placing them on the racks ... and I do believe that I've yet to have a dry bird when using this method where I can't say the same for placing poultry flat on a smoker rack.  Using even a can of water provides a stabilizing method with even heat inside the poultry as well as outside ... but why miss a chance to add some flavor?  I do use a sharp-end of a can opener to put another "vent" in the top of my canned beers and, with the amazing variety of uniquely flavored canned beers and hard ciders, it's worth the loss of a beer to feed my eternal optimism.

The Buffalo Tools Double Beer Can Chicken Cooker give me the ability to easily smoke four whole birds plus some sides in a single cooking session in my Smokin-It #3, and would be useful for #1 and #2 owners with similar results.  I've used this thing four times and with each session it produces melt-in-your-mouth chicken with beautifully rendered fat.

PROS:
1.  This unit will give you two birds per rack and I can easily fit two racks per shelf in my smoker; I imagine if I were feeling froggy and wanted to jump I could use a second set of two on a low shelf for a total of eight whole smoked chickens per smoking session.
2.  The unit is sturdy and easy to clean and is definitely dishwasher safe.
3.  These racks have eight sharpened prongs (four per long side) for use with potatoes or corn ... and it definitely works.  They do have little caps to protect these prongs (and your hands) when you store them.
4.  Built-in handles are useful even when wearing thick barbecuing gloves.
5.  It moves easily from smoker to grill with no limitations in either mode.

CONS:
1.  Those little protector caps for the sharpened prongs get lost if you're not careful.  My rack sits on a shelf with two little sharp teeth, glaring at me every time I open that cabinet.
2.  At 13.5" x 9", you couldn't fit them sideways in the #1, which would reduce your loads to two birds per smoke.

FINAL RECOMMENDATIONS:
I'm a believer in the beer can chicken method and this tool gives me greater flexibility than most cookers in a VERY sturdy, compact platform for around $15.00.  For teetotallers, a canned soft drink or a reused can with apple juice would be an easy substitution for your favorite lager.  To run two chickens through the smoker with minimal muss and fuss is worth the prices of admission alone ... add the ability to cook up to eight potatoes or ears of corn at the same time and this becomes a genuine bargain. 

VENDOR RECOMMENDATION:
http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-BBQDC-Double-Chicken-Cooker/dp/B002718GT2/
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 11:54:23 AM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Smoker Essentials: Buffalo Tools Double Beer Can Chicken Cooker
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 08:17:31 PM »
Another great review, Joe.  You've probably read my opinion of beer can chicken on one of the other threads, but I have to say this is a very cool device!  I appreciate your conviction; I just lost my faith in the method after years - and a lot of dead chickens - trying to "perfect" it.

I do, however, agree that the vertical posture of the bird is the way to go (and they look comical on the rack, too!
 :D ), and the stabilization-effect of the liquid-filled can inside the bird is most-likely a good thing.  Enough said on that...

What is really cool about this rack is that it allows the 2 birds, and a bunch of taters, or whatever, on the skewers surrounding them!  Very efficient design.  I'm definitely gonna be an owner!  We'll just have to agree to disagree on the "flavoring" aspect of this one, though!  ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

PhilR

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 07:19:08 AM »
I ordered one of the double chicken racks.  Should be here next week.

Wife and I love beer can chicken.
Phil

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 11:16:55 AM »
Honestly, it's perfect for a small family gathering.  I was "window shopping" on Amazon when I found it and couldn't resist because it was so unusual ... and each time I have friends over for chicken using this thing they end up buying it as well.  Let me know how it turns out guys ...  :)
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!