Author Topic: Smoker Essentials: Krups 203 Electric Grinder  (Read 2781 times)

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Smoker Essentials: Krups 203 Electric Grinder
« on: July 12, 2013, 06:22:23 PM »
One of the great things about using the Smokin-It series is that it enables even a novice smoker to produce near-restaurant quality results with little muss, fuss, or training.  Though some will bust out their smokers only a few times per year, others become so consumed by the activity that it transcends "hobby" and becomes "borderline obsession".

I fall in the latter category.

From my first real smoker (a cheap little Brinkmann electric smoker) to my stick burning days to my purchase of the Smokin-It #3, I have been a fan of making the product my own by making rubs, marinades, and sauces from scratch.  The great thing about this ancillary activity is that a good spice rack, a template recipe and a little ingenuity can help a kitchen novice produce some truly great results.  After a few years, I realized that there was indeed a difference between the pre-ground spices you find in your average supermarket and the freshly ground spices you could find at certain specialty markets or mail order ... but they came at a cost.  After seeing Alton Brown make chili from scratch with homemade chili, powder, I threw caution to the wind and decided to experiment with a decent coffee grinder and some whole spices.

The first grinder I got was an inexpensive, though highly rated, Krups and it lasted until some idiot (who looks oddly like me) dropped it on a flagstone patio and ... let's just this grinder now lives on a farm where it can run and play all day.  Figuring that if it isn't broken it doesn't require repair, I picked up the Krups 203 Electric Grinder and have been completely satisfied that I can produce the best rubs possible in with a little knowledge, sweat equity and creativity. 

PROS:
1.  This unit is very quiet compared to other grinders I've used or seen used.  I'm not saying you should try grinding black peppercorns in your local library but it also won't wake up the dog.
2.  It will grind spices to a fine consistency.  If you use a light hand on the pulsing action you can manage a very consistent coarse grind as well.
3.  It makes very quick work of bulk whole spices like peppercorns, cumin, dried chiles, coriander,  etc. and even can make super-fine demerara sugar or sea salt.
4.  This unit has held up with no issues for the better part of a year and it's dearly departed predecessor was bulletproof for years (though not drop-proof).
5.  I find it easy to clean with a narrow pastry brush and a damp paper towel or microfiber cloth.
6.  The lid is dishwasher safe to help reduce the accidental flavor or odor retention issues.

CONS:
1.  It's output could be a bit larger; it will hold several ounces of dried spices at once but I'd love it to have about a 50% greater capacity for when I make my rubs in large batches as gifts.
2.  It does take a bit of practice to yield coarse grinds with good consistency; a fine grind is a breeze however.
3.  Be careful of heat; as the whirring blades heat up it will affect both the texture and consistency of your spice yield ... a light hand with careful pulses is the best option.
4.  Definitely use this only for spices and not as a double-duty coffee grinder ... unless you want your morning java to smell like 'Q.

FINAL RECOMMENDATIONS:
Does the flavor of freshly ground spices trump the convenience of pre-ground?  On every day of the week and twice on Sunday.  The Krups unit is less than $20.00 and will do everything you need.  Is it perfect?  No, but few things are.  Yes, I'd love to drop $200 on a countertop spice grinder but I don't need it and I have better things on which to spend my hard earned money.

Spice rubs can take good barbecue to greatness ... by making your own spice blends for your rubs and sauces I think you'll detect a noticeable difference in both taste and aroma of the final product.  Whether toasting and grinding your own chili powder like Alton Brown on "Good Eats" or trying to beat Tony Chachere at his own game, I think you'll enjoy the process of this DIY solution.

VENDOR RECOMMENDATION:
http://www.amazon.com/203-42-Electric-Coffee-Grinder-Stainless/dp/B00004SPEU/
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 08:24:26 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

Smoke Monkey

• Porkchops and bacon, my two favorite animals.
Re: Smoker Essentials: Krups 203 Electric Grinder
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 06:50:15 PM »
I have an old krups coffee grinder I use to grind spices. It works great! I don't recommend using the same grinder you grind coffee to grind spices unless it has a removable grinding basket that can be washed thoroughly. Your coffee may be a little "spicy" if you don't get it cleaned out well.
Steve from Albany, NY
Proud owner of a 2013 Model #2 and a
Weber Genesis for grillin' and rotisserie