Author Topic: Surprise!  (Read 10497 times)

sdaniels

Surprise!
« on: July 11, 2013, 08:28:49 PM »
Look what somebody left on my doorstep today  :P  I think I'm going to have to take off work tomorrow afternoon to get this baby seasoned and ready for the weekend  ;D  Is it OK to remove the protective plastic from the faceplate?

LOL, guess it would help if I actually attached the picture, huh?  Hmm, can't seem to get the pic in portrait mode - it shows up right on my laptop.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 08:58:11 PM by sdaniels »

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
Re: Surprise!
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 08:38:59 PM »
Very Good! Yes, take the protective film off the faceplate and I would recommend putting the smoker outside before you season it  ;D
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

sdaniels

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 08:40:00 PM »
Yes, outside would be good   :D

sdaniels

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 09:02:25 PM »
Prior to this I had a Masterbuilt 30" electric smoker... that thing was a joke compared to this beast!  I also had a WSM 18.5 so I'm really looking forward to seeing how this compares to it :)

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 09:31:30 PM »
Congrats on the new toy ... it's like Christmas, but warmer.  Have you decided what you'll be throwing in there this weekend for your first smoke after seasoning?
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »
Better than Christmas, 'cause it lasts a lot longer!!  Congrats on a great purchase!  Andrew was right about the film over the controller!  You can't hardly see it, and I almost missed it before seasoning.  Whew!  Who wants melted plastic on top of their smoker?? >:( You'll love this baby, compared to what you've had.  The WSM is a solid unit, but a bit over-priced, and a lot more high-maintenance.  You'll like the simplicity involved here!  Plug and play, baby!

Throw some pics up of the first smoke!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

sdaniels

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 10:35:14 PM »
Well, I haven't put too much thought into the first smoke other than maybe keep it cheap and simple just in case (maybe meatloaf or some fatties)?  The kids are pushing for brisket but I want to make sure I have the hang of this thing before I pick up a packer.  I did have one more quick question - do you guys have a little play in your temp knob (about 1 to 1.5 ticks on the scale) when turning it?  Thanks for all the help thus far, y'all are great! 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 11:14:17 PM by sdaniels »

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 10:47:30 PM »
I just dial mine to the desired temp, and let 'er rip!  Haven't noticed any "play," but it's an analog dial, so there may be.  Just have confidence that the units are solid, and the temp will average-out well.  Btw, I recommend a Boston butt for pulled pork for the first smoke; it's almost fool-proof, and you'll get a good feel how that baby operates over 12-13 hours.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

sdaniels

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 11:13:19 PM »
Did y'all put the locking casters on the back or the front of your smokers?

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 11:32:34 PM »
I elected to put them on the back ... I rotate the smoker for use and store with the side flush with the wall.  The pivot angle works best for me with swinging the front of the smoker outwards.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 11:35:23 PM »
Front for me...easier access to the lockers. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 07:40:23 AM »
Front for me...easier access to the lockers. ;)

My reasoning also

Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

smokeasaurus

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 11:27:54 AM »
Better than Christmas, 'cause it lasts a lot longer!!  Congrats on a great purchase!  Andrew was right about the film over the controller!  You can't hardly see it, and I almost missed it before seasoning.  Whew!  Who wants melted plastic on top of their smoker?? >:( You'll love this baby, compared to what you've had.  The WSM is a solid unit, but a bit over-priced, and a lot more high-maintenance.  You'll like the simplicity involved here!  Plug and play, baby!

Throw some pics up of the first smoke!

When I had a WSM, I had pretty good luck dialing in the temps...but the oversmoked meat that pit produced just killed us...and with only -1- chunk of wood...... ???

Bigumdaddyo

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 07:10:52 PM »
I put my lockers on the front for easy access. So far I have smoked three meals and I have to say the spare ribs are number one so far. It is Friday and I am looking forward to another smoking-it weekend.
Larry from WA
Smokin-it #3
Char-griller stick burner

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 07:28:21 PM »
When I had a WSM, I had pretty good luck dialing in the temps...but the oversmoked meat that pit produced just killed us...and with only -1- chunk of wood...... ???

That's something I haven't heard about the WSM - good to know.  I came very close to buying one, but just found the price a little much for that type of smoker.  Looks like I made a good choice by waiting for Smokin-It!
 ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas