Author Topic: Which to Buy? Smokin-it #1 or #2  (Read 15785 times)

jmkdae

Which to Buy? Smokin-it #1 or #2
« on: July 10, 2013, 05:47:31 PM »
Have read pretty much all the threads on the Smokin-it smoker. Seems like the one I want.

Usually cook for 2-4 people. Would be an exception to cook for more.
What I would like to know from folks that have experience is the following:

How many or what size in lbs can I fit in each?

1. Ribs - assume that the will be cut in half for both it seems. How many racks?

2. Brisket - Likely cut in half as well. What size?

3. Turkey - 12 lbs seems about the size for the #1. What about the #2

4. Beer can chicken or spatchcocked chickens?

Hopefully this might help some other folks as well.

Jim in Oregon
Jim from NW Arkansas
Smokin-it #2

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Re: Which to Buy? Smokin-it #1 or #2
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 06:10:37 PM »
Based on this, I'd urge you to consider the #2 ... the reason is that you can't add size and you will be occasionally cooking for small groups of around four.  You'd have no problem cooking your primary protein (brisket, ribs, etc.) in the #1 for a group of  four but adding other things (sides, extra meats for leftovers, etc.) or space-sucking applications (beer can chicken, turkeys, etc.) might present an issue.  I subscribe to the Tim "The Toolman" Taylor motto: "More Power, Arr Arr Arrrr!".

With ribs you've got the option of cutting in half and using the built-in racks or specialty rib racks available through a variety of retailers.  You also have the option of rib hooks which will give you a more traditional means of cooking ribs.

With brisket, packer cuts don't quite fit in the #1 without some serious trimming; a #2 should give you more flexibility.

I can't speak to turkey (though a 14-16 pound bird seems about right) but on spatchcocked chickens you'll be eating up your primary real estate on each rack but you could probably squeeze three into the #2.   Beer can chickens (the one has a two-chicken design) probably will limit you to two in either unit while I can fit two double mounts easily into the #3.

In both the #1 and #2 you could probably cram more product into the smoker but you'd be dramatically reducing necessary air flow and final smoke penetration.  Hope this helps, Jim ... no matter which one you choose you'll be making a solid choice.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 06:21:49 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

es1025

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 06:50:54 PM »
Jim,

If you have the funds, I would go with the #2. I bought the #3 and have never had more than 3 racks of ribs or 1 pork butt.  I rationalized the difference in cost for the larger heating element. The folks on this forum really provided solid guidance.  You can never have enough room.   The meat will smoke better with spacing. The #2 heating element is 700 watts vs. 350 watts in the #1.  The #3 has a 1200 watt heating element.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 07:12:42 PM »
I have the #2, and I'm glad I got it.  I am normally smoking for 3-4 people, sometimes as many as 5-10.   I can easily get 4 racks of baby backs (cut in half) in the #2, and I have done a 13# turkey, and often do two 5# chickens side by side.   I can also get 25 wings easily on 3 racks, and have done as many as 12 chicken thighs in one session.    I recommend the #2.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 10:54:11 PM »
Jim, I own the #1, and it is a great unit.  You have to look at how much you plan to smoke at one time.  I have a small family, and usually do one butt, rack, brisket....at  a time.  If I had my purchase to "do over," I'd have bought the #3.  You can smoke small quantities in a larger smoker, but can't smoke big quantities in a little one.  I was driven by the price, and the unknown about electric smokers, and the brand.  Knowing what I know now, I would have definitely bought a #3!  Get the biggest one you can afford - you won't regret it!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Rob Babcock

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 11:18:12 PM »
You can always cook less food in a bigger smoker but not the other way around.  Go for the #2 if you can afford it.

danorum

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 01:37:20 PM »
Well... even after all of the advice here to go bigger, I ended up ordering the #1 yesterday.

I was very close to ordering the #2, but the difference was larger than I thought because the #2 adds quite a bit more in shipping as well. If this gets to small for me, maybe I find someone else to take this off my hands and upgrade at that time.

I can't wait to get it and get smoking.

Dan

puddle jumper

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 02:52:36 PM »
Dan,
   I think you will be fine as long as you are just cooking for a family,, Everyone has to justify the cost of the units to there budget , and I think the money is better spent on a Smokin-it cooker , then getting one of the cheeper brands,,, JMHO
Let us know how you like it and share you cooks with us,,,
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your smoker..
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 08:03:52 PM »
Good choice, Dan!  I have a #1, and have always had plenty of leftovers!  Yes, I too want a #3, but the cost was prohibitive for me at the time.  My #1 performs flawlessly, and I use it almost every weekend!  Great thing about the #1?...you can live within your budget, and STILL have great Q!  Welcome to the family!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

vwbrad

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 08:13:42 PM »
I really like the #1.  I almost never cook more than two racks of ribs or one pork shoulder or brisket at a time.  I thought about holding on to my larger propane smoker if the occasion comes up to cook for a crowd, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.  Even with the larger smoker I never used more than two of the five racks at a time.  It all depends on how much you intend to cook at the same time.  The #1 is big enough for my family of four.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 04:59:12 PM »
Hi Dan,

These guys are right on...you will have more than enough good Q coming out of the #1, so no worries!   I have a #2 and probably could easily smoked most of my excursions in the #1...enjoy, and welcome to the family!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Rob Babcock

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 04:58:16 AM »
Even the "little" #1 should serve you well! 8)

es1025

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 06:08:46 AM »
Dan
Go for the #2, you won't regret it.  Bigger in this case is better.  I have the #3 and have never come close to filling it. The #2 has a larger heating element.  Either way you will be on your way to making some really great bbq.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?