Author Topic: Smoker Essentials: Victorinox 12" Granton Edge Slicing Knife  (Read 10224 times)

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
When I was a kid growing up, my grandfather was the carver of meat and the griller of barbecue in my family.  Every holiday, he assumed his ceremonial duties to slice the turkey, ham or prime rib and portion out the slices.  I remember very clearly his love of gadgets and his first use of an electric slicer:  an avocado green reciprocating blade carving knife with a motor base the size of a whole pork loin.  Ahhhhh, the 70's ...

Sadly, this cutting edge (ha!) knife technology didn't stay in his repertoire of cutlery as he preferred his 10" slicing knife and meat fork combo that he'd picked up in Europe before shipping home after World War II.

While I'm a gadget freak myself, I also believe that simple is often better.  When I went shopping for my first knives for barbecuing and grilling, I asked a chef buddy about where he got his knives and he was adamant that I shouldn't go after my $1600 Wusthoff or Henckels mega-set with 30+ knives for every occasion and situation ... instead, he advised me to go get a decent granton edge slicing knife from the local restaurant supply warehouse.

After playing around with the different knives, and drooling over the Global and Shun sets, I found that I really like the Victorinox specialty knives to complement my standard kitchen set.  Many of you may have already put two and two together ... Victrorinox is the maker of the ubiquitous Swiss Army knives and they have a wide range of cutlery designed for the griller/smoker in mind.  My choice was a relatively inexpensive Victorinox 12" Granton Edge Slicing Knife with a sturdy black Fibrox handle; I elected to go with its rounded edge rather than the scimitar-style for ease of use and I found the slicing motion to be more intuitive.

PROS:
1.  The blade is high carbon stainless steel and keeps a very keen edge, in my experience.  I do use a sharpening stone with this as opposed to a steel.
2.  The handle is utilitarian and NSF-approved.  It's got a good grip even when your hands are wet or greasy.
3.  The granton-edged blade makes cutting super thin slices of any meat, even brisket, not only possible but easy.  The little granton grooves allow for fat and juices to move freely while slicing which helps prevent the meat from tearing or shredding.
4.  Keeping clean is a simple matter of hot water, soap and a good sponge; as with any good knife I would recommend hand washing over the dishwasher.
5.  It pairs nicely with the Victorinox meat fork and Victorinox meat cleaver, both of which I use and have similar quality and utility.

CONS:
1.  It's stamped, not forged.  I do like a heavier forged knife, and Victorinox does offer a 10" forged version, but it's also more than triple the price.  These stamped knifes have held up well for over two years so I'm pleased so far.
2.  The Fibrox handle, while slip-resistant and sturdy, does scar a bit.  Since I use this as a carving knife and not a presentation knife this isn't a deal breaker for me.
3.  Any granton edge knife takes a bit more work to safely sharpen but with a good sharpening stone, or even some skill with a sharpening steel, it'll keep its edge.

FINAL RECOMMENDATIONS:
This is a very cost effective choice for a high quality carving knife.  While some swear by a high quality plain blade slicer or even a simple chef's knife I think this granton edge slicer provides tremendous functionality and serious bang-for-your-buck.  I would recommend getting an inexpensive edge-guard to protect the knife while in your kitchen drawer (and your hand when you reach for it) and I'll link that below as well.  Overall, I am very happy with this purchase and believe that it helps present brisket, pork roast, turkey, ham and other large meats in the best manner possible.  Whether hunks of brisket or paper-thin slides of smoked ham this slicer can do it all.

VENDOR RECOMMENDATION:
Victorinox Slicing Knife: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/victorinox-12-slicing-knife-w-granton-edge-and-fibrox-handle/35340645.html

Messermeister Slicing Guard:  http://www.amazon.com/Messermeister-EGS-12S-12-Slicer-Edge-Guard/dp/B000LVXWZI/

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 08:39:37 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Smoker Essentials: Victorinox 12-Inch Granton Edge Slicing Knife
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 08:19:52 PM »
Great review, again, Joe!  I just received this from Amazon today, and it looks fantastic!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 08:26:58 PM »
Glad it helped; I'd invest the $6 in the sleeve for it as well ... those suckers are a nasty finger biter when left to their own devices waiting in the kitchen drawer.   ;D
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 09:01:01 PM »
Good advice, but I devoted an empty slot in the butcher block to this little jewel!  ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

es1025

Re: Smoker Essentials: Victorinox 12" Granton Edge Slicing Knife
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 08:18:35 AM »
Joe
you are nailed. This knife is awesome cutting brisket very thin. Can't wait to use it on other items. Unfortunately, I needed to buy at bust out retail. $64.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

pigsmoke

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 03:08:13 PM »
looks like a very nice knife, keep it sharp.

when I was working professionally in a bakeshop my 10" Wusthof slicer was in my hand all day long.

as for essential knives, I found that there wasn't anything I couldn't accomplish with out these:

L-R: 10" slicer, 4" utility, 6" utility, 6" chef, 9" chef.

I kept my knives (with blade covers on them) in a canvas knife roll and that baby went everywhere with me.
Get a good three-sided knife sharpening stone, I have a Smith's, and it keeps my knives so sharp they'll cut you for just looking at them the wrong way. DO NOT balk at the price, you invested in the knife, now invest in a way to keep it sharp the rest of your life. I sharpen my knives once a week on the stones, and hone them constantly on a steel while I'm using them.

http://www.amazon.com/Smiths-50008-8-Inch-Diamond-Tri-Hone/dp/B001I6JGL4/ref=sr_1_11?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1380826518&sr=1-11&keywords=smiths+knife+sharpener

Let me add this; when shopping for knives, stay away from the ones where the bolster prevents you from sharpening the entire blade. What happens over time is that a little groove wears down at the bolster end and your blade is no longer straight. This is true for most of the lower end Wusthof's. You might have to pay a little more, but the Wusthof Ikon is probably one of the best kitchen knives made for the money. It should go without being said that you should only need to invest in a good set of professional kitchen knives once in your entire lifetime.

mike...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 03:09:56 PM by pigsmoke »

es1025

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 05:50:21 AM »
Joe, I found a really cool guard for this knife.  It's a magnetic guard.  The plastic ones the store was selling were not impressive.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?