Author Topic: Smoker Essentials: Thermoworks RT301WA Super-Fast Instant Read Thermometer  (Read 5312 times)

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
While I rely on my trusty Maverick ET732 for the cooking phase, I do like to keep an eye on internal food temp after it's been removed from the #3 or as I'm holding it for serving to guests.  There are more than a few experienced smokers and grillers who swear by infrared thermometers but I can't say I agree with this as it lacks the very necessary reading of internal temp in favor of a less precise surface temperature.

I keep two digital pen-style instant-read thermometers around at all times in case I'm feeding folks chicken and pork (or other combo meals) to avoid cross contamination.  My instant read thermometer of choice is the Thermoworks RT301WA; it uses a rear facing display rather than other pen-style that utilize a side facing display ... this is purely a personal preference and Thermoworks does make a nice side-faced unit.  The big benefit of a rear facing display is you don't have to get in the smoke and heat to check the temp.

PROS:
1.  The LED display is easy to read in all lighting conditions.
2.  I've found the thermometer to be consistently accurate within about a degree; this is a very reasonable margin for my uses.  I've calibrated it with multiple thermometers and it is dead on with the second 301WA I own.
3.  The probe is easy to clean and the entire unit is water resistant.  The included sheath for the probe helps protect the unit in my kitchen drawer.
4.  I've had these for the better part of a year and the batteries are still running strong.
5.  The probe itself is narrower than the Maverick which means fewer juices lost after probe removal.
6.  It's used by a ton of line cooks and chefs so I trust that it will hold up to heavy use.
7.  These units are VERY cost competitive with other manufacturers.
8.  VERY fast temperature measurement ... five seconds and you have your temp!

CONS:
1.  I'm a clean freak so the sheath is damn near impossible to keep clean; the simple solution is to always clean the probe thoroughly prior to storage.
2.  The auto-shutoff function has acted up a time or two, but that may be from me inadvertently handling the unit and pressing a button.  Nonetheless, the power button is easily accessible and the unit does shut down in quick order.

FINAL RECOMMENDATIONS:
These units meet or exceed my expectations in every category.  While those less obsessive than me can get by with a single thermometer, the manufacturer does run a "twofer" special that I used last year. (and very cheap shipping)  If you want a solid instant read pen-style thermometer with a huge temp range (-40F to 302F) then this is a very solid choice for your smoking and grilling needs.

VENDOR RECOMMENDATION:
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt301wa.html
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 11:40:43 AM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

es1025

I went to the super-fast thermopen a couple of years ago. The cost is $96 but its definitely worth the price. My dual fork model broke.
the deal got better on the thermoworks web site, buy 2 pay $16 a piece.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Thin Blue

$96.00 for one, $32.00 for two?  Really?
Have: Tejas stick burner roll top and a Smokin-it #3 w/ Auber

Had: Brinkmann vertical charcoal, wore out; Old Smoky, not to my liking sold; Brinkmann Pro offset, gave to friend;  Sams Club propane smoker, junk, returned to SAMs; 2 Brinkmann vertical electric, wore out.

es1025

Thin Blue

The super-fast thermopen is $96 dollars.

The Thermoworks RT301WA is priced at 2 for $32 from their web site.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Thin Blue

Got ya, ok, thanks.
Have: Tejas stick burner roll top and a Smokin-it #3 w/ Auber

Had: Brinkmann vertical charcoal, wore out; Old Smoky, not to my liking sold; Brinkmann Pro offset, gave to friend;  Sams Club propane smoker, junk, returned to SAMs; 2 Brinkmann vertical electric, wore out.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Thanks for the info...I am planning to order one to try it out.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2