Author Topic: iGrill Thermometer  (Read 4337 times)

Thin Blue

iGrill Thermometer
« on: July 06, 2013, 01:43:01 PM »
Anyone have the iGrill?  Thoughts?
Have: Tejas stick burner roll top and a Smokin-it #3 w/ Auber

Had: Brinkmann vertical charcoal, wore out; Old Smoky, not to my liking sold; Brinkmann Pro offset, gave to friend;  Sams Club propane smoker, junk, returned to SAMs; 2 Brinkmann vertical electric, wore out.

psoltesz

• Model #1 Owner
Re: iGrill Thermometer
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 01:14:59 PM »
I looked into this one, as I thought the iPhone integration would be really cool.  As I researched, however, I kept finding more and more negative reviews for this product.  What's more, the vast majority of the negative reviews were very similar...complaining that the Bluetooth connection to the thermometer kept dropping.

As such, I decided not to purchase this one.

- Phil
I'm your huckleberry...

Thin Blue

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 01:22:26 PM »
Finding the same thing Phil.
Sounds like a great idea, but may need some refinement, but not on my buck. 
Have: Tejas stick burner roll top and a Smokin-it #3 w/ Auber

Had: Brinkmann vertical charcoal, wore out; Old Smoky, not to my liking sold; Brinkmann Pro offset, gave to friend;  Sams Club propane smoker, junk, returned to SAMs; 2 Brinkmann vertical electric, wore out.

hurst03

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 12:55:23 AM »
Has anyone had good luck with the igrill Bluetooth connectivity recently?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 08:30:13 AM »
You guys that are interested in long-range temp monitoring may be interested in this:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1415.0

You might want to ask Ben (benjammn) about the iGrill - pretty sure he had it.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

hurst03

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 04:21:46 PM »
Thanks Divot but the Tappacue is more than double the price.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 04:30:33 PM »
Yeah, way too pricey for my blood, too.  I just linked to it so you'd see an alternative remote capability unit.  I, for one, couldn't be happier than the results I get with my Maverick ET-732.  Accurate, good remote signal (up to 300'), always faithful! ;)   I don't need to watch my smoker temp on my phone - enough junk on there already!  Lots of negatives about loss of BT signal with the iGrill.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 08:15:03 PM »
For the exact reason that other reviewers out there mentioned, I didn't go with the iGrill for the BT losses. My Maverick ET733 is pretty sweet and has really nice coverage compared the the ET73 that I used before. I like the Tappecue for the fact that I can watch and graph my smokes on my phone. No loss of signal. Expensive, yes. Handy, definitely.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

jdiver

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 09:09:25 PM »
I have the iGrill. I've got an odd problem right now that I just posted of. But Bluetooth connection was NEVER a problem. In fact I'm kinda shocked how it did keep connected. Or maybe it lost and regained and I never noticed. Really it was reading fine from quite a distance. My SI2 is on my deck. My office is upstairs and one room over, no connection problems at all, even walking there.

The interface is simple, clear. And I love the graph. Especially as you are learning the smoking process. The quick rise up front, then a taper off, then the plateau... All right there graphically.

I may have damaged one of the probes. If so I can't blame the iGrill. :(
-JD-
Big Green Egg and SI2
Love Pork