Author Topic: Raspberry-Chipotle BBQ Sauce  (Read 8133 times)

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Raspberry-Chipotle BBQ Sauce
« on: July 05, 2013, 11:27:41 PM »
Here's something I've used on pork loins on multiple occasions and it even goes great on smoked quail and game hens.  For a little more "oomph" you can add a few shots of Chambord and cook out the alcohol ...

RASPBERRY-CHIPOTLE BBQ SAUCE   

4 Cups     fresh or frozen raspberries
1/2           medium Vidalia onion, minced
2/3 Cup    demara sugar
1/2 Cup    cider vinegar
1/4 Cup    raspberry jam or preserves
4 Tbsp      chipotle peppers in adobo, finely chopped
3 Tbsp      minced garlic
2 Tbsp      adobo sauce from chipotle peppers
2 Tbsp      salted butter
1 Tbsp      zest of half lemon
2 Tsp        Kosher Salt

Melt the butter and lightly saute the minced onion and garlic until translucent.  Add the fresh/thawed raspberries and macerate by continuing to stir for 5-6 minutes.  Add the remaining wet ingredients and throughly combine; increase heat and bring to a slow boil.  Mix dry ingredients  until dissolved and then reduce heat to low.  Simmer until reduced to proper consistency.  Remove from heat, let cool, and pulse in a food processor or blender until smooth.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Raspberry-Chipotle BBQ Sauce
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 11:33:09 PM »
OMG, Joe!  You're gonna just have to post your BBQ spreadsheet!!  ;D   These are some really killer recipes you're putting up!  Keep 'em coming!!! 
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DivotMaker

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 11:35:34 PM »
...You happen to have a good apricot BBQ sauce recipe?  I used to buy a commercial apricot sauce (years ago, can't remember the brand) that was incredible.  Can't find it anymore, but I thought you might have one in the files somewhere....
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

UWFSAE

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 11:43:49 PM »
I have a peach bbq sauce I can adapt ... the flavors are so similar that it's just a simple cross-substitution.  I'll post it under "Peach BBQ Sauce" and you can tweak it, try it and post it once you've gotten  some results.   :)
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 11:47:42 PM »
I have a peach bbq sauce I can adapt ... the flavors are so similar that it's just a simple cross-substitution.  I'll post it under "Peach BBQ Sauce" and you can tweak it, try it and post it once you've gotten  some results.   :)

Hehe...I knew I could count on you!  You're fast becoming my "go to" guy in my journey of BBQ discovery!  Thanks Joe!
Tony from NW Arkansas

UWFSAE

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 11:51:29 PM »
I get a bit OCD about my hobbies ... I did the same thing when I got hardcore into golf, the same thing when I bought my Jeep, and I find myself doing it with bbq'ing/smoking now ...

I've tried all the recipes I post; all of them are my adaptations of traditional recipes, though some like the Raspberry-Chipotle and the Georgia Gold are my definitely my own experiments, for good or for ill.

I'll clean up that Southern Peach BBQ Sauce in just a few minutes and get it posted ...
Joe from Houston, TX

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 06:58:57 PM »
I was going to make your SoCo Peach sauce next but this little jewel got my attention. Not sure when, but this will be the next one.

Keep em coming Joe!
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

Sartori42

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 07:47:01 AM »
I made this sauce this past weekend.  It was my first home-made BBQ sauce.  The process was a lot of fun, and it went well.  I was looking for a fruit infused BBQ sauce.  I'm chasing the memory of a couple sauces I've had in the past; a blackberry BBQ sauce they had at Famous Dave's for a short time a couple years ago, and a cherry BBQ sauce I had near Cleveland this past year.

I can't say the end result was what I had hoped for.  To my palate, and that of my wife, this sauce is somewhat grainy in texture, no doubt due in part to the large number of seeds present from the raspberries and chipotle peppers.  We blended it well in the mixer until the sauce was smooth, but still felt grainy in the mouth.  It also had more heat than we prefer.  If I was to do this sauce over again, I'd half the amount of chipotles and adobo sauce.

In the end, I can certainly see times when this sauce would be a winner.  I also learned a lot about what I like in a BBQ sauce.  Back to my search for a fruit infused BBQ sauce.  Thanks to Joe for posting this recipe so many years ago.  It was fun and educational.  What more can you ask?
Steven near Chicago
Model #2 with Norman Cabinet

bbqsmokee

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 05:27:59 PM »
will try out this weekend, thanks for sharing