Author Topic: Why can't I get over 210 degees?  (Read 12308 times)

Ironhorse07

Why can't I get over 210 degees?
« on: March 17, 2013, 04:51:05 PM »
With the contoller all the way on I can only get to about 210 degrees (checked with 3 different thermometers)? An email and 2 phone calls at the begining of last week have generated 0 responses. I am getting a far bit of @#$%ed off >:(

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Why can't I get over 210 degees?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 07:44:09 PM »
 I am sure Steve will get back to you.  I know he was away on smoker business and returned last week so he is probably catching up on messages.  He is very good about returning calls and emails.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

BHamel

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 12:26:17 PM »
With the contoller all the way on I can only get to about 210 degrees (checked with 3 different thermometers)? An email and 2 phone calls at the begining of last week have generated 0 responses. I am getting a far bit of @#$%ed off >:(

Ironhorse07,

We apologize for not getting back to you sooner.  Steve has been out town for over a week on business. but I talked with him last night about this.  Steve did tell me that he would send you an email last night or today.  Please let me know if his emails are not getting through to you.

Thanks,
Ben

Ben from Ohio
Smokin-it IT guy!
Owner of a Model #3
If you can't smoke it!  You shouldn't be eating it!!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 09:51:56 PM »
Ironhorse,

I just had a thought that I read on another site.  Are you running your smoker off an extension cord?  According to what some poster had cautioned, this can affect temperature as would sharing the outlet with another electrical appliance. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Rob Babcock

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 02:40:58 AM »
Ironhorse,

I just had a thought that I read on another site.  Are you running your smoker off an extension cord?  According to what some poster had cautioned, this can affect temperature as would sharing the outlet with another electrical appliance.

I initially had the same issue.  No matter what I couldn't get up over 175.  Turns out the power strip I was using was severely limiting the current- I discovered the issue when plugging in the smoker caused the exhaust fan I was using on the same line to sag drastically.  Once I replaced the strip with a dedicated cord all was well.

I will say Steve offered to send a new thermostat.  I had feared that I damaged it rolling the unit over on top of the knob while unboxing it by myself.  Turns out it was just the cord.  There's not a lot that can really go wrong with it!  It's an insulated box with a thermostat and a heating element.  If it's producing heat, then by deduction there's little else that could be wrong with the actual unit besides the thermostat.  But since a smoker like this is often sitting out in the yard or on the deck, running off a long cord I would suspect that's the issue.

Have you tried putting a thermometer probe down the vent and monitoring the temp over time?  Not saying you're measuring wrong, just trying to help troubleshoot.  It's natural for the temp to have fairly large swings.

Lastly, what's the ambient temperature where you're using the smoker?  While it's pretty well insulated I imagine that in very cold temps you may have trouble getting up to the max temp.  I've used my #3 down to around 20 or so with good results.  In fact, it's about 15 degrees right now and I'm running four racks of ribs.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 09:37:21 AM »
I think that Steve specified the longer than normal electrical cord to avoid using extension cords which can affect the heating of the element.  A nice touch.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Ironhorse07

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 11:36:20 AM »
Been busy myself this week. Steve did contact me by email yesterday. Yes I have verified with 3 different therms plus cook times over 3 hrs/lb.  No I am not using an extension cord. Ambient temps have not been an issue and the controller does cycle on and off. So either the controller or probe is in error just need to figure out which one. Anyone know off hand if the probe is rtd thermocouple?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 11:35:26 PM »
I would ask Steve which style is used and see what he recommends. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Rob Babcock

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 04:02:25 AM »
Where are you measuring the internal temp?  Near the unit's thermocouple?  Have you made sure the thermocouple of the smoker isn't covered/blocked or damaged?  I'm not sure what else to suggest.  If the outlet is good and you're measuring the temperature near the middle of the unit then maybe you got a bad thermo.

I'm confident Steve will fix you up, though.

digger1978

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 01:22:53 PM »
I am having the same problem on my Model #1.  I have the dial turned up to 250 and can only get an internal temperature of 195.  I verified the thermometer is working properly as I tested in my oven inside my house.  I have smoked ribs for 5 hours and they do not come out as tender as I want.  I know you can smoke with 195 but it will take longer than I want.  How do I get a higher temperature inside?  I want to get to 225-235.  I have read others on here that go the other way where their smoker goes to hot.  At least they can turn their temperature down.  I am not using an extension cord, power strip or anything to impede electrical resistance.  Outside temperatures have been on the 70's.  My union electrician friend verified my 120v outlet is performing properly.  Could I have a weak thermostat or heating element?  I was told to put a washer on top of the hole to retain heat but I don't think I should have to do that.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 01:43:30 PM by digger1978 »

Spresso

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 01:37:35 PM »
hi guys , did any of you get a satisfactory end to your temp issues?
Zed
Zed from Southern Ontario
Smokin-It-all on the #3
Grillin-the-rest on the Weber

Thin Blue

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 01:12:30 PM »
It appears to have gone cold ;)
I have some of the same concerns!
Have: Tejas stick burner roll top and a Smokin-it #3 w/ Auber

Had: Brinkmann vertical charcoal, wore out; Old Smoky, not to my liking sold; Brinkmann Pro offset, gave to friend;  Sams Club propane smoker, junk, returned to SAMs; 2 Brinkmann vertical electric, wore out.

Darwin

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 08:43:24 PM »
The #2 is on my purchase list, but the temp issues keeps popping up on the forums. I will wait a watch for a few months before I do anything...   :-\

Thin Blue

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 02:47:29 PM »
Ironhorse07,

Did you get your temp problem solved?
Have: Tejas stick burner roll top and a Smokin-it #3 w/ Auber

Had: Brinkmann vertical charcoal, wore out; Old Smoky, not to my liking sold; Brinkmann Pro offset, gave to friend;  Sams Club propane smoker, junk, returned to SAMs; 2 Brinkmann vertical electric, wore out.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 09:40:12 PM »
Appears the trail has gone cold.  I hope he didn't have a defective smoker that led him to give up!  I know mine is very consistent, and the temp swings are nothing like I see posted from others (20-30 degrees at most).  Hopefully, Ironhorse07 hasn't given up! :-[
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!