Author Topic: Thighs update  (Read 1874 times)

will615

Thighs update
« on: June 13, 2019, 12:31:41 PM »
I've done thighs on my #1 several times since my first post and the procedure has become much more consistent. I do 4 thighs at a time. I really like the Chris Lilly recipe that I mentioned in my post about chicken quarters. The oil keeps the skin on and the herbs give them a great flavor. I use 1 oz of chips and smoke at 225 deg. Temperature probes left in the meat don't do well for me with thighs. Because there is some much bone, I get a lot of false high readings. Instead, I just check them with a manual probe as needed. After about 2.5 hours of smoke, they should be in the 160's. My goal is 175 deg internal temp. I like to finish them on my gas grill (medium heat) to char the skin. You can either wait for them to get into the 170's on the smoker or quicken the process by moving them when they are in the 160's. Either way, you still get the great smoked flavor. I dissed thighs and preferred breasts for years. I don't know how I could have been so wrong! Sorry about no picture.
Will, Nashville, TN
SI #1, Weber Smoky Mtn., Kilwell Fish Smoker, and an old New Braunfels offset smoker that makes great ribs regardless of the bad reviews!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Thighs update
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 08:26:44 PM »
While I don't smoke poultry, I favor breasts for making sandwiches and thighs and legs for just plain good eating, more flavorful and juicy.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus