Author Topic: Smoke All The Things!  (Read 1642 times)

Minnesmoka

Smoke All The Things!
« on: June 07, 2019, 06:42:48 PM »
Got my SI1 on Wednesday, my Smokinlicious chunks on Thursday. Squeezed in a quick trip to my local meat market and tossed a rack of St. Louis ribs and a smallish (5 lb) pork butt on right away just shy of 7 am (was the biggest one—I could have asked if they had a larger one in the back, but had to run there between meetings and didn’t have much time.)

I halved the brine recipe that’s pinned on the Pork page for the butt. Hickory and cherry wood, 235, ribs went for 5 hours, got a brush of sauce, and then another 30 before they came out to get swapped with potatoes. The butt hit 192 at around 2:30, got wrapped and coolered, and mac and cheese went in. 12 hours later and I’m finally enjoying all the fruits of my labor ;) Pretty successful first smoke if you ask me! I really appreciate this forum, I got a lot of good advice before I even started!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Smoke All The Things!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 09:00:34 PM »
That is quite a first effort.  Great looking spread.  Congratulations!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Minnesmoka

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 09:27:10 PM »
Decided to go in whole hog, as it were, haha. Helped things along that I work from home on Fridays and am done by 11, my husband was at work and then a golf fundraiser, and our kid had a friend over. Plenty of time to putter around the kitchen and randomly prep things all day  ;D

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 10:51:02 PM »
Smokin-it has a facebook page.  You can get some good ideas there if you use fb. Even post your successes!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Minnesmoka

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 10:59:11 PM »
I’ve been popping on and off there recently actually—was keeping my eye out for a good deal ;) I’m actually surprised they don’t have a company-run Facebook group. But I’m probably just spoiled with my Anova!

bogeyjim

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 08:57:26 AM »
Looks awesome!  First attempt at St. Louis ribs tomorrow, hope to be enjoying them as the Bruins work toward a game 7 back at the Gahden!

How about posting the mac 'n cheese recipe.
Jim in The Granite State

Minnesmoka

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 09:07:40 AM »
https://www.smoking-meat.com/august-15-2013-smoked-mac-and-cheese-with-bacon-and-pulled-pork

Someone else posted it on the forum, which is how I stumbled across it. It’s a winner.