Author Topic: Analog #3 Hi Temp  (Read 1904 times)

tomd8

Analog #3 Hi Temp
« on: May 09, 2019, 09:48:35 AM »
I just experienced extremely high temps in my analog #3.  I did my first pork shoulder overnight.  Set it to 220, used 5oz of chunks in a foil covered tray in the wood box, used 2 probes (one in shoulder, one on grate next to meat), placed the shoulder on 2nd shelf and a small water and apple juice pan in the bottom.  The one thing that was different from prior successful smokes is I added a drip pan on the 4th shelf down (half sized disposable).  I started the smoker at midnight.  My max smoker temp on my Thermapro was set to 300.  Within 10-15 minutes the max temp alarm went off and the temp was up to 332 deg.  I went outside and checked that the meat wasn't too far back on or near the built in probe and it wasn't.  I added some of the liquid from the bottom pan into the tray just to avoid drippings from burning.  I closed the door and raised the max temp to 340 and it never seemed to go that high for the next 20 minutes.  The next morning the temps seem to fluctuate more normally.  Later in the day when the shoulder was done I looked to see if the wood had ignited but it was all charcoal.  The only thing I was wondering is if the drip pan on the 4th shelf down was too far back and possibly under the built in probe.  If so could it block the rising heat giving a false reading?  My adding water and adjusting the pan forward may have coincidentally left more space for rising heat.  I'll pay close attention when I do the other 7.5 lb shoulder I have in my freezer.  Does this sound like a possible cause?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 04:40:29 PM by tomd8 »
Tom from New York
SmokinIt #3 analog, Masterbuilt analog, Little Chief

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Analog #3 Hi Temp
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 09:05:58 PM »
I just experienced extremely high temps in my analog #3.  I did my first pork shoulder overnight.  Set it to 220, used 5oz of chunks in a foil covered tray in the wood box, used 2 probes (one in shoulder, one on grate next to meat), placed the shoulder on 2nd shelf and a small water and apple juice pan in the bottom.  The one thing that was different from prior successful smokes is I added a drip pan on the 4th shelf down (half sized disposable).  I started the smoker at midnight.  My max smoker temp on my Thermapro was set to 300.  Within 10-15 minutes the max temp alarm went off and the temp was up to 332 deg.  I went outside and checked that the meat wasn't too far back on or near the built in probe and it wasn't.  I added some of the liquid from the bottom pan into the tray just to avoid drippings from burning.  I closed the door and raised the max temp to 340 and it never seemed to go that high for the next 20 minutes.  The next morning the temps seem to fluctuate more normally.  Later in the day when the shoulder was done I looked to see if the wood had ignited but it was all charcoal.  The only thing I was wondering is if the drip pan on the 4th shelf down was too far back and possibly under the built in probe.  If so could it block the rising heat giving a false reading?  My adding water and adjusting the pan forward may have coincidentally left more space for rising heat.  I'll pay close attention when I do the other 7.5 lb shoulder I have in my freezer.  Does this sound like a possible cause?
If your other smokes were within the normal  hi/low swing of the set temp, then I am guessing that your addition of the drip pan did have an adverse effect although it does seem a little extreme.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus