Author Topic: Thighs w/ herbs  (Read 1703 times)

will615

Thighs w/ herbs
« on: April 24, 2019, 09:27:05 PM »
These might be my best thighs to date! I modified the recipe called Smoked Leg Quarters in Big Bob Gibson’s BBQ book by Chris Lilly. His recipe is for 6 chicken quarters, so I reduced all of the ingredients. He also recommended fresh herbs where I substituted the dried versions that were in my pantry. Given more time, I will get the fresh stuff next time.
Marinade
½ cup virgin olive oil, ½ cup (1 lemon) of lemon juice, 1/2 TB minced garlic, 1 tsp Kosher salt, ½ tsp black pepper, 2 TB parsley, 1 TB basil, 1 TB oregano 1 TB cilantro (I didn’t have any). I marinated everything for about 6 hrs where he recommends 8-12.
1 oz of hickory, 225 deg. All of the thighs were different sizes so I probed the middle one. After 1 hour, all but one piece were in the 170’s. I had hoped to pull them around 165 and finish on the grill. I put them on a medium gas grill for about 5 minutes. The piece that had a lower temp got a little more time. I am learning that thighs are extremely forgiving. They were very good and I will definitely do this one again!
Will, Nashville, TN
SI #1, Weber Smoky Mtn., Kilwell Fish Smoker, and an old New Braunfels offset smoker that makes great ribs regardless of the bad reviews!

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Thighs w/ herbs
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 10:33:15 AM »
I am learning that thighs are extremely forgiving

I am a Chicken Bigot, I hate the white meat. Having cooked a lot of dark meat I find it is often better in texture at 172 and above. You can run it up to 180 with little ill affect.

Those thighs look good.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud