Author Topic: My first attempt at fresh pasta!  (Read 1874 times)

RG

My first attempt at fresh pasta!
« on: April 09, 2019, 07:19:11 AM »
I am continuing to broaden my horizons in the culinary world :) This post is about my foray into making home made pasta. I can't lie and say I wasn't a little bit intimidated by this!

My Wife found a recipe online for stuffed ravioli with a Parmesan, cream and lemon sauce so I made up a batch of pasta dough and hoped for the best, lol. The dough I made was primarily for ravioli but since I had extra, I cut it into Tagliatelle. I have to say, it turned out GREAT! I am so impressed with the taste of fresh pasta! I really do like egg dough over semolina dough but I will make some extruded style noodles in the future, to test out the Kitchenaid attachment that I bought. For now, let me show you our noodle experiment lunch we had on Sunday :)

Noodles on drying rack

Rav getting made

Getting happy in the seasoned water

Cheese sauce bath anyone?

I took the Tagliatelle and put it in the pan after the rav was gone, to soak up that sauce. Topped it with some of the mushroom filling and some parsley and WOW was it good!

Jason from Conyers GA

barelfly

Re: My first attempt at fresh pasta!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 11:11:34 AM »
Ohhhh. Fresh pasta is just wonderful. PRobably my favorite dish to make. The flavor and texture will make you never want boxed pasta again and will make you turn your nose up at Italian restaurants 😁 hahaha.

You will like the mixer attachments. I have both the roller and cutters as well as the extruder, which is really cool.  The five different dies really allow you to make any dish you can think of, pasta/sauce combos.

Those raviolis look wonderful by the way!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 10:03:43 PM »
Looking good!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

barelfly

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 11:09:47 AM »
Make some flavored pasta next.....roasted red pepper or spinach. Or my favorite, green chile fettuccine!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 01:47:34 PM »
Good for you taking on a new project. The restaurant closes for two months in the winter. Last year I used that time to perfect making biscuits. This years project was fresh hand formed pasta. There I some good videos on YouTube, but I got a lot out of the Mastering Pasta Book, I will add the link.

I bought the KitchenAid set of pasta roller with spaghetti and fettuccine cutters they work great. I use a Gnocchi Board to shape Gnocchi and form a few types of pasta. Other cheap tools are a wooden  dowel or metal skewer  for making rolled, twisted pasta.

I have a drying rack like yours but don't use it much.  I find it easier to dust with flour and make little piles of pasta on a baking sheet. I don't make pasta for storage. I make it then cook within a few hours.

Enjoy the new hoby.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

RG

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 12:01:05 PM »
Good for you taking on a new project. The restaurant closes for two months in the winter. Last year I used that time to perfect making biscuits. This years project was fresh hand formed pasta. There I some good videos on YouTube, but I got a lot out of the Mastering Pasta Book, I will add the link.

I bought the KitchenAid set of pasta roller with spaghetti and fettuccine cutters they work great. I use a Gnocchi Board to shape Gnocchi and form a few types of pasta. Other cheap tools are a wooden  dowel or metal skewer  for making rolled, twisted pasta.

I have a drying rack like yours but don't use it much.  I find it easier to dust with flour and make little piles of pasta on a baking sheet. I don't make pasta for storage. I make it then cook within a few hours.

Enjoy the new hoby.

I have a few e-books on making pasta and sauces. It's all fairly simple (so far!) and I'll be making more as time permits. I may make some for dinner tonight if I have time that is :)
Jason from Conyers GA

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 07:28:46 PM »
Hey Jason,
The pasta looks great!
Best Greg