Author Topic: First Brisket - In Progress!  (Read 2194 times)

SmokyThePandaBear

First Brisket - In Progress!
« on: April 06, 2019, 01:00:27 PM »
Saw an 11# Prime Packer at Costco for $3.69/lb so I decided this is my time to shine.

I have a Model 2 so no matter how I messed with the geometry, I had to split it into point & flat if I wanted to avoid touching the sides of the smoker.

Timeline:
Last night:
- Split, trimmed, dry rubbed
Dry Rub:
Both applied after anointing the glorious chunks of meat with some Caaaalifornia Olive oil
On the Point:
Miller's Dry rub (https://millerssmokehouse.com/collections/edibles) from my local BBQ joint when I lived in TX
On the Flat:
My own "Texas Masala" which frankly I don't remember the proportions since I made it many moons ago but it's heavy on the kosher salt & coarse black pepper, and also has chili flakes, cayenne, cumin, coriander, and turmeric.  Spicy and exotic.

Wrapped 'em in plastic and left overnight in the fridge

7:45am Today:
Into the Model 2, cold.  Cranked it to 250º

Placement:
- Point on the 2nd from bottom shelf, fat-down
- Flat on the 2nd from top shelf, fat-up

Wood:
Used 6.5oz of post oak
-  Foil boat + foil in bottom of firebox with small pen holes poked where the actual holes are

Water Pan:
Actually forgot to add it… probably should have just left it be, but first brisket jitters got to me.   So I opened her up.  It was early, so I got a face full of smoke, but meats were only at like 65 degrees or so. May have caused combustion. If I wind up with a sooty brisket at least I'll know why.

Temp. Monitor
One probe in each cut.  Using a Thermoworks Smoke with 2 of the straight probes as come with the ThermoWorks DOT.

First Update
It's 10am, 2:15hrs in and the flat is at 174º, Point is at 152º.  I guess I've more or less hit the stall on the flat, but it is still rising, just slower relative to the point.  The flat is pretty thin.
I plan to pull the flat at 195, the point at 203.
Updates to follow.

Also, fun note: I'm doing this in an apartment on maybe a 5ftx7ft balcony with a box fan set up.  It better turn out well cause I'm going to have to bribe my neighbors in smoked meatstuffs to keep the peace!

~Jon
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 01:45:41 PM by SmokyThePandaBear »

EFGM

Re: First Brisket - In Progress!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2019, 01:53:09 PM »
Sounds like you have a sound plan Jon. I would only add you might consider probing both when you open it up at 195 to see if it and the point probe like butter. Be sure an post us a picture of those hunks of Goodness!

Doug
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

Lipster

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 03:32:53 PM »
Just don't panic when it stalls at 170 or so.  One brisket I made took over 20 hours to finish.
If it isn't tender at 195, wrap it and take it to 204.

Stevegardner

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 04:49:02 PM »
I always do mine at night time. I am feeding people next Saturday eve, full packer will go in at 700pm Friday night. I will separate point and flat when flat hits 195 degrees. Point will be cut up, tossed into a pan with sauce for burnt ends. Ideally, both will be done mid-afternoon Saturday. Water pan? Don’t need no stinkin water pan. Should be plenty moist in that cooker..

SmokyThePandaBear

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 05:57:03 PM »
Thanks for the tips y’all! Lookit this beauty! The point finished at about 2:45, 7hr smoke. Nice and jiggly at 203deg. The smell was incredible too.
Flat is still working, 186deg and climbing
EDIT: Flat is done now 3:30pm (7:45hr smoke) pulled at 195. Again, satisfactorily jiggly and smells awesome.

Steve i’ll definitely try and emulate your timing next time. Today I’m just working with the free time I have!

EDIT: Got them both resting in foil, in towels, in a cooler.  Won’t be eating til about 9pm so I'm thinking I’ll put them both in the oven at 140 or so after the first 4hours of cooler resting.
I’ve heard of people resting briskets in coolers for 6-7 hours but seems a little risky to me, food safety wise.  Would love input on that.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 06:45:08 PM by SmokyThePandaBear »

kona77

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 06:48:48 PM »
 I have had a couple of briskets rest in a cooler for 5-6 hours and they were fine (and delicious!!)..
Congrat's on your brisket success!!! You will have a great meal..
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..

SmokyThePandaBear

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 01:55:18 PM »
Postscript:
 6hrs later both were still hot and ready to serve after resting in triple-foil, in a beach towel, in my Yeti.

The point was fan-freakin-tastic.  Just about as good as any brisket I've had at a TX restaurant (minus Franklin's, which I think is infused with Cocaine). Solid A.

The flat wound up being a tad dry, at least compared to the point (obviously). Still I'd call it more moist than a fair amount of restaurant "lean" brisket I've had, plus that Texas Masala bark really gives it a bite to match its more solid texture. High B+.

I might try tenderquick next time for the faux-smoke ring.

Thanks again gents!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 01:58:34 PM by SmokyThePandaBear »

Stevegardner

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 08:22:44 PM »
Brother..No need to listen to my times at all, you hit it out of the park it appears. Awesome!,