Author Topic: Brand new #2  (Read 2182 times)

pappabear

Brand new #2
« on: January 28, 2019, 09:23:55 PM »
   I am a proud owner of a new #2. It shipped out Friday morning and I received it this morning(Monday). I am new to smoking so I have a lot to learn I'm sure.
Gary
Acme Pa
USAF Vet
Retired coal miner

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Brand new #2
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 09:38:43 PM »
Enjoy the smoker Gary.  I think you will find the smoker pretty easy to use and the food you'll get mighty tasty. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

pappabear

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 09:55:26 PM »
Now to try and figure out what kind of wood to start out with and where to get it.
Gary
Acme Pa
USAF Vet
Retired coal miner

Hank R

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 10:36:17 PM »
Welcome Gary  from Western Canada.
Smokin-It #1
Napoleon Prestige gas BBQ with Cast Iron Charcoal/Smoker Tray
 30 year old Big Chief smoker (unused for the last 25)
 Snow blower lover Toro 1128 HD,
 collector of Oilcans
Princeton BC Canada

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 12:03:16 AM »
I am pretty much a hickory user.  Smokinlicious and Fruit-a-Wood are two solid sources. Deciding what to smoke first is a challenge. My inaugural smoke on an electric was ribs, same as when I got a stick burner.  Next smoke was a bone in butt; put it on at midnight and went to bed.  Didn't finish till sometime after 12 the next day.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 11:19:12 AM »
Now to try and figure out what kind of wood to start out with and where to get it.

I keep a selection of hickory, pecan, cherry, and apple on hand and find that covers the bases pretty well.  I use the big box store wood and it works just fine.  To avoid combustion (which can happen regardless of where you get your wood), I line the bottom of the smoke box with a double thick piece of aluminum foil and poke smaller holes in it than the smoke box ones.  This restricts the air-flow and has eliminated all combustion for me.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

tvrtrixie1

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 03:07:51 PM »
I move mine into the garage and move the wife's car out whilst I smoke in the winter, just crack the door a little to let the smoke out and it makes the house smell great whenever you go out to check.dont let a bit cold stop you

tomd8

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 08:35:40 AM »
Hi Gary – Congrats on the new smoker.  You made a great choice.  This is my third electric smoker and SI is by far the easiest to use, smartest design and most durable (built like a tank), not to mention great customer service.  I do what a number of the folks have stated above, I move my smoker inside a greenhouse for warmer winter smoking but the insulation of the box doesn’t require that…I do (LOL).  I use big box wood because I have quite a bit from prior smokers.  I use foil to limit airflow to the wood avoiding ignition.  I have heard nothing but great things about Smokinlicious and Fruit-a-Wood products so they seem to be a great source as well.

My first smoke was inexpensive chicken thighs which turned out less than stellar due to a bitter taste caused by wood combustion (telltale ash not charcoal).  I now create a foil pouch containing the wood with minimal air holes and no problems since. Best of luck with it.  -  Tom
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 12:24:29 PM by tomd8 »
Tom from New York
SmokinIt #3 analog, Masterbuilt analog, Little Chief