Author Topic: Chicken skin was oversmoked, what can I do differently?  (Read 3095 times)

ryeguy

Chicken skin was oversmoked, what can I do differently?
« on: January 26, 2019, 11:28:50 PM »
I smoked a whole chicken today. The skin seemed oversmoked because it was pretty bitter. The inside was super juicy and tasted fine.

I used 2 oz of wood: sugar maple and cherry from Smokinlicious. The bird was 3-4 pounds. I cooked it at 325 until it hit 150 internal temp (not a typo, it's safe and much juicer than 165, try it). It took about 1.5 hours.

Prep wise, I spatchcocked the chicken and dry brined it overnight with salt/pepper/garlic + a sugar-based bbq rub.

I know most here smoke chicken at 250, but everyone also complains about rubbery skin because of that. Googling around, the solution to that problem is to smoke at a higher temp so that's why I chose 325. The skin was kinda crispy so that part worked, but I'm wondering if smoking at 325 could somehow cause a flavor issue in SI cookers.

Any ideas?
Ryan
Model #2D
Southeast Michigan

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Chicken skin was oversmoked, what can I do differently?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 06:59:34 AM »
Use less, or a different type of wood.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

barelfly

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 10:25:58 AM »
2oz is not much, but smoking at that temp, I wonder if the wood caught fire and gave off the bitter taste? I use the same type of wood for chicken you used and sometimes eat the skin, if I crisp it up on the gasser. But, I have gone to smoking my whole birds on my wonder kettle grill because I like the end product better.

What did the wood chunks look like when you pulled the bird? The high temp is the only thing I can think of that would cause the off flavor. I really wouldn’t think 2oz wood be that much.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

ryeguy

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 03:10:56 PM »
One of the chunks looked like charcoal, the other was ash. I have the chip tray in which supposedly helps with combustion issues, but maybe I'll try the foil boat method too.
Ryan
Model #2D
Southeast Michigan

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 04:53:27 PM »
I didn't see the comment about 2oz, that should have been fine. Since you are running 350 you must be digital. Perhaps run at a much lower temp to smoke and flavor the meat then bump it up to 350 to crisp the skin.

In my SI I go 250 for poultry and do not expect crisp skin, it is too moist and airtight. In the Ole' Hickory I can get crispy skin at 250 but it is basically a convection oven with a firebox.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

tomd8

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 08:40:22 AM »
I think the ash is the indicator of fire.  I had the same thing happen the first chicken thighs I smoked in the SI.  I just put the chunks in the wood box but got all ash. The results were bitter chicken thighs. After that I tried a recommendation which is to start smoking at a lower temp then raise after 45 min raise the temp which worked.  I've since settled on wrapping the chunks/chips/pellets in foil with air holes, placing the package in the wood box and have never had the issue since.  This past weekend I smoked 4 thighs with 2.6 oz of wood and they tasted great.  I must admit in all fairness I do smoke at 250 with an analog #3. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 08:42:47 AM by tomd8 »
Tom from New York
SmokinIt #3 analog, Masterbuilt analog, Little Chief

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 12:54:36 PM »
Put a double thick piece of foil on the bottom of the firebox and poke smaller holes in it.  It'll restrict the airflow and generally stop the combustion.  It's easier than individually wrapping wood chunks and works just as well, in my experience.  You'll use a lot less foil too... I only replace it when it gets warn out / torn up.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

tomd8

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 04:20:51 PM »
I liked the idea that someone came up with which was to use  handmade tray from flashing material that fit into the wood box.  Seems easy to lift out and clean out.
Tom from New York
SmokinIt #3 analog, Masterbuilt analog, Little Chief

ryeguy

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 02:03:35 AM »
I made more chicken tonight and changed 2 things: I used foil boats for the 2 pieces of wood and smoked at 250 instead of 325. The skin was great, and it wasn't even rubbery which I was expecting due to the lower temp (maybe it was the day long dry brine that helped this?).

I noticed the wood pieces weren't ashed over after cooking either. I'm kind of surprised I had to do the foil boat trick, because I've seen several other people say the chip tray had the same effect. Oh well, it's easy enough to do.
Ryan
Model #2D
Southeast Michigan

Jimeo

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 07:53:04 AM »
Whatever works Ryan.  I foil the bottom of the smoke box, like Larry, and poke smaller holes AND leave the chip tray in.  Seems to eliminate the need to boat the wood, at least for me. 
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 12:49:15 PM »
I'm at least on of the people that made trays out of flashing. Works great. I've had no combustion since I started using them. Someday I may make some better crafted ones, but the first ones haven't burned out yet.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

Durangosmoker

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 07:28:53 PM »
So no holes in the flashing trays? Not even nail holes?
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

barelfly

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 10:12:45 PM »
My trick is to ensure the wood is not covering the holes, so I place it parallel with the box. This has worked great for me, but I do most smoking at 225 as well. I have upped the temp to 275* to finish some things off or push through a stall and still seems to work.

But glad you had a better outcome this go at it!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 04:29:31 PM »
No holes in the flashing trays. I made them so they cover about a little over half of the smoke box floor, but not all of it.  Haven't had ash since, always get charcoal and long smoke times.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA