Author Topic: Question on D series and temp probes.  (Read 2201 times)

Drayken

Question on D series and temp probes.
« on: January 26, 2019, 10:12:32 AM »
Temp probes on the D series, just as accurate as aftermarket probes? I've read so many posts about probes that come with other smokers, are very inaccurate) Are u able to Calibrate the probes that come on the D series, like u can, on aftermarket probes, like the thermopro?

I'm trying to decide if it's better to buy a D series,or get analog, and get a PID and thermopro, or something similar. Easier and cheaper to replace if something breaks.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 10:14:04 AM by Drayken »
CJ. 3D wifi.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Question on D series and temp probes.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 10:54:15 AM »
I have found the probes to be accurate and not an issue. The D controller is likewise accurate. The D models hold the cooking temp very accurately.  With an analog controller, as per the FAQ section on the main site, there are temperature fluctuations that are hi and low of the set temp.  In the end though, those fluctuations average out to your set temp.  If doing ribs for 6 hours, a smoke will still take 6 hours, regardless of whether you are using a digital or analog smoker.  The analog smoker, including the controller is a full 3 year warranty; with the digital smokers, the controller is warranted for only 1 year.  The analog controller has been proven to be simple and reliable if you can accept the temperature swings.  Some folks can and some cannot.  Like anything else,  it is always possible to get a smoker with a defective controller whether analog or digital and the warranty takes care of that within it's given period.

Going analog would allow you to get a larger smoker and down the road, you could get a stand alone Auber for digital control.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Drayken

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 11:04:38 AM »
The money isn't the issue. (I'm cheap, but I am more of a buyers remorse guy, so I tend to try to buy one step above what I think I want, cuz I always "want" the next step up, sooner, rather than later, lol.) I originally started looking at $300 smokers, and am not here, haha.

I'm more concerned with adjustability and accuracy of the probes, and problems down the road. Cost would be about the same, for an analog, with PID and temp probe, vs a D series. Convenience of all in one, vs ease of fixing or replacing later.
CJ. 3D wifi.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 12:15:52 PM »
I re-read your original post and don't know anything about calibrating probes.  I do know about checking them for accuracy.  With the electric smoker, the box probe is fixed so doing the ice water and boiling water test is out. On the issue of analog or digital:  If you go full digital, and the controller dies, the smoker dies.  If you go analog with a stand alone PID, and the PID dies, you still have an analog smoker.  Pretty much comes down to what you want. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Drayken

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 12:58:16 PM »
So, that means,on the D series, if the temps are off, u just have to live with it? Let's say, it always read 7 degrees too high, u just have to then wait for ur chicken to hit 172, instead of 165, for example?
CJ. 3D wifi.

Lonzinomaker

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 02:10:45 PM »
Suggest you go to the Smokin-It website and search for owners manual.  I'm sure that would tell you if probes/PID can be user calibrated.
Dave
Smokin-It #3 main smoker.
1400 Smokin Tex (same size as #2) for Snowbird time.
Smokin-It #1 for camping trips.
Big Chief with mailbox mod for cheese smoking
Blackstone 22in griddle with Bakerstone pizza oven
Spokane, WA

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 04:52:18 PM »
Agree with reading up on the owners manuals.  And you will also read about doing an auto-tune on the PID.  You can also use the search feature and look for probe problems, probe accuracy, and the like.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Stevegardner

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 09:59:22 PM »
I re-read your original post and don't know anything about calibrating probes.  I do know about checking them for accuracy.  With the electric smoker, the box probe is fixed so doing the ice water and boiling water test is out. On the issue of analog or digital:  If you go full digital, and the controller dies, the smoker dies.  If you go analog with a stand alone PID, and the PID dies, you still have an analog smoker.  Pretty much comes down to what you want.
.  This sums up my current thoughts. I have been wondering whether to go digital or stay analog. I had a ST analog for years, it bit the dust a couple months ago. I have been tossing the idea of a model 3D around, or just a model 3 analog. Introducing a new component that could go south and leave me without a smoker gives me a bit of heartburn. If I could switch over to analog if the digital piece failed would be a huge advantage.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 12:44:54 AM »
Before Steve introduced the D model smokers, several people purchased the Auber PID separately.  And some of them wired it into their smoker and installed a switch that allows going from analog to digital.  A lot of work!  Far easier to just get the digital model which is very reliable or a separate PID and forego all the bypass work.   I have had my 3D for some time now and no issues with any part of it.  It is accurate and reliable.  But here are links if you decide to go the component route:

https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1863.0

https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1287.0
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Drayken

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 03:35:00 AM »
Thx Sarge. I'm pretty sure I'm more for the D now. I think I rather just have it all in one, than messing with parts here and there. Question, since u had mentioned the probes are accurate, of I'm not planning on doing multiple large pieces of meat, example, just doing one butt, or one brisket at a time, is there any reason to go buy a separate temp probe? The probes on the PID should be enough, correct? Thx.
CJ. 3D wifi.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 07:51:47 AM »
You are correct. The D model will come with the probe. For multiple meats that need to be smoked/cooked at the same time, you can use any remote thermometer of your choice for the other meat.  They are fairly inexpensive and available in many big box stores. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus