Author Topic: Whole brisket burnt bottom  (Read 1974 times)

KyDog

Whole brisket burnt bottom
« on: December 19, 2018, 07:29:51 PM »
Pulled brisket this morning for work xmas dinner. IT was 193 in flat and point, but bottom of flat was rather hard , over cooked,also a little dry. But it was wrapped and set in cooler for 6 hours before serving.
Question how to prevent this scorched bottom?

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: Whole brisket burnt bottom
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 08:59:18 PM »
Which smoker?  What temp(s) did you smoke at?  Which rack(s) did you use?  Did you brine?
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

KyDog

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 11:10:47 AM »
I have a #2 analog, smokes at 220 , took around 24 hrs.
Thinking about piece sheet metal over smoke box to deflect heat.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 06:16:19 PM »
KyDog - I also have the #2 (analog), have done many briskets, and have never had anything remotely like that happen.  You didn't answer all of my questions, so I can really only give you some tips on what works for me.

1)  Place the brisket on one or two racks with racks placed as high in the smoker as possible.
2)  Always brine even if only for 6 hours
3)  Smoke at 230-235
4)  Once the brisket goes in, don't open the door again until you've hit an internal temp of 195.
5)  Don't over-trip the brisket
6)  Put a small container of water right next to the smoke box
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Stevegardner

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 11:01:37 PM »
I see so many posts where guys are suggesting pans or tins of water next to the smoke box. I just don’t get it. These cookers should be plenty moist. To each their own, but I just can’t imagine a scenario with these where the air in the smoker needs more moisture. I do see how meat could dry out, a number of factors could contribute to that. Now that said, I don’t have my SI yet. Maybe, I ought to clam up until it’s here...just seems like it should be a pretty moist cooker.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 05:27:09 PM »
I see so many posts where guys are suggesting pans or tins of water next to the smoke box. I just don’t get it. These cookers should be plenty moist. To each their own, but I just can’t imagine a scenario with these where the air in the smoker needs more moisture. I do see how meat could dry out, a number of factors could contribute to that. Now that said, I don’t have my SI yet. Maybe, I ought to clam up until it’s here...just seems like it should be a pretty moist cooker.

One of these days I may get brave enough to go without any water... there have been some recent posts by one or more veterans saying they've done just fine without a water pan.  I guess I just see it as no harm done if I include one...  I use an old stainless steel frothing pitcher, so I have no monetary investment involved like those who use disposable foil pans.