Author Topic: To soak or not to soak??  (Read 6718 times)

viticulture

• Smoked meat and aged wine makes for a good evening
To soak or not to soak??
« on: March 14, 2013, 09:59:40 PM »
I've often heard and / or read that soaking chips prior can sometimes impart an overly bitter flavor. Does this hold true for chunks as well? The reason I ask is that I occasionally experience the "belch" that others have too when using wood that is really dry - usually the stuff purchased at Lowe's or Home Depot. Getting smoke flavor is not an issue but that "burp" that my unit does on occasion is unnerving.

es1025

Re: To soak or not to soak??
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 06:11:28 AM »
I was on the fruitawood web site and they mentioned at least 10x not to soak their wood and stay away from the HD, Lowe's, WM due to wood being too dry and not fresh. 
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

smokeasaurus

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 07:49:58 PM »
I have also read that damp wood in these electric smokers can damage the heating element.....I wish I could remember where I read that  :o

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 08:25:09 PM »
Overly damp wood, whether it's a campfire or a smoker box, will produce a moderately acrid smoke.  However, with very dry hardwoods a quick soak (two hours or less) and then an hour of drying can be beneficial.  With wood chips, it helps them slow the combustion process and produce a longer smoke.  Even then, when I used an old Brinkmann water smoker, I'd pat dry the chips before loading the smoker box.

Fresh wood does not need soaking ... not worth the downside.  But if you're stuck with old, bone-dry wood, there is risk/reward option that may give you decent results ... the extra white smoke is less bitter than full-blown combustion of your chunks.

With regard to damage to the element, so long as they are surface-dry they should be okay but good wood is the infinitely superior option, IMO.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!