Author Topic: Fruitawood  (Read 14659 times)

es1025

Fruitawood
« on: June 16, 2013, 07:48:50 AM »
I ordered 15 lbs of cherry wood chunks from Fruitawood (Colorado) and I received yesterday by noon (NJ).  The wood was packed in a box and chunks were between 4-6 ounces each.  The wood needed to be in open air for 24 hours before using. I will follow up when I use the wood.  I hope Steve starts to produce some fruit flavors dowel like the hickory.

Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Fruitawood
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 09:26:17 PM »
What flavor wood did you get?  I really want to try peach.  Have you used it yet?  Oops...just noticed it was cherry! 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 09:52:19 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 10:13:31 PM »
Peach wood is top notch for pork and poultry.  I've got a really good Southern Comfort and Peach Nectar BBQ sauce I use and it compliments it VERY well ...
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

es1025

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 07:14:05 PM »
Joe, thanks for the insight on the peach wood.  Peach will be my next order. I read a lot about cherry as being a solid multi-purpose wood.  I figure pork and poultry will be what I will typically smoke.
Ed from Northern NJ

DivotMaker

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 09:57:22 PM »
Peach wood is top notch for pork and poultry.  I've got a really good Southern Comfort and Peach Nectar BBQ sauce I use and it compliments it VERY well ...

Sounds awesome!  Where do you get the peach bbq sauce? ...is it your own creation?
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 11:03:46 PM »
Yup ... it's got all the things in life that make it worth living: Southern Comfort, bacon, butter, and Sriracha!

The key is reducing it.  I make a sweeter sauce to offset the liquor and Sriracha, but all the elements are substitutable/changeable.  The only thing I wouldn't skimp on is the peach preserves ... get a good quality and it will pay dividends.  I've got it posted here:

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=67.msg201#msg201

Also, a word on the cherry ... I love it with a 50/50 blend with pecan wood for brisket; I find it a little less bitter than hickory and it provides a great bark.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 11:07:59 PM »
Thanks, Joe!  I definitely have to try this!
Tony from NW Arkansas

es1025

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 10:14:37 AM »
I used about 4.5 oz last Sunday. Burned very consistent for the entire 3 hour smoke. I was pleased. Definitely a different smoke flavor from the hickory. I can't wait to smoke a Boston butt.
Ed from Northern NJ

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 07:41:29 PM »
I got my 20# box of peach/cherry/apple mixed chunks from Fruitawood today!  I'm a little surprised at the size of the chunks (bigger than I thought), but no biggie.  I can re-size some of the larger ones.  I'm trying out the cherry this weekend on a brisket (with a little hickory mixed in).
Tony from NW Arkansas

smokeasaurus

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 07:51:45 PM »
Next time ya reload on wood, give http://www.mainegrillingwoods.com/  a try. Just specify mini chunks and they will cut em into Smokin-it size chunks free of charge....free shipping as well.

DivotMaker

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 10:40:14 PM »
Next time ya reload on wood, give http://www.mainegrillingwoods.com/  a try. Just specify mini chunks and they will cut em into Smokin-it size chunks free of charge....free shipping as well.

Thanks again, Smoke!  I'll check them out.  I'm impressed with how little wood it takes in the Smokin-It units, so smaller chunks will definitely help.  So much to learn...!
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 10:54:51 PM »
Used Fruitawood peach today on some spares.  The chunks are big, so I had to sift through the box to find a chunk small enough for the wood box in the #1.  Burned good, but I'm going to have to re-size most of it to fit.
Tony from NW Arkansas

es1025

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 01:13:44 PM »
Tony, I been splitting the chunks into smaller piece in order to fit in the smoke box. The wood definitely smokes very consistent piece after piece. I have the wood sitting in the original box in my shed.
Ed from Northern NJ

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 07:43:46 PM »
Yep, Ed, me too!  None of the chunks fit in my smoker box, and I've had to axe them all.  I used some apple last week, and it must have been a little drier than the peach and cherry; it burned fast, and I got a short period of darker smoke, so I would suspect it flamed instead of smouldered.  I haven't had that happen with the peach or cherry, though.  Might have just been that one chunk.  I'm either trying the Peterson pucks or Mainegrillingwood mini-chunks next time, as I'm not super-impressed with the Fruitawood so far.
Tony from NW Arkansas

Muttley

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2013, 04:18:35 PM »
I ordered peach from Fruita and I have been very happy with it so far.  I found I will take a hammer and chisel to widdle down the chunks to a reasonable size, usually around 1oz.  One whack with the hammer is all it takes.  One box of wood will last me a year.  It's a lot of wood when you only need 1-2oz per smoke. 

With the peach I've used it mostly for chicken, and it is fantastic.  Very mellow, a fresh relief from the garden variety hickory and mesquite.  I am doing baby back ribs with it tomorrow, so I am excited to see how they'll turn out. 

5 hours @ 225 with 1.5 oz of peach.  Wife says: "perfect".  So in the end, if shes happy, everyone is happy.