Author Topic: Beef Chuck ribs fail  (Read 2441 times)

LandToSea

• 3D WiFi owner
Beef Chuck ribs fail
« on: July 05, 2018, 10:09:06 AM »
I did my second smoke on my new 3D Wifi. I did 2 chickens halved and two racks of beef chuck ribs. I had to search for a couple weeks to find the ribs and was really looking forward to smoking them. There wasn't a specific page for beef ribs in the manual but I followed the chart and smokes at 225* until IT was 175*. That took just over 3 hours which fell into the chart time estimation. I then wrapped in paper and towel and threw them in the cooler for an hour. They were not broken down at all, very fibrous still. I know I can resolve that by cooking longer until the meat probe slides like in butter. My main concern was that before wrapping they were very moist on the outside like they were steamed. No bark at all. They were on the top rack because I wanted them to drip onto the chicken and not the other way around. Is this the problem? Closer to the top is where more moisture collects? We only ate the one rib I cut for testing. The remaining rested for another 2 hours and then went in the fridge. I am reheating them today at lunch. I would have heated them in a water bath to avoid drying out but in this case I think they need it so maybe the broiler???

One other thing is smoke penetration was once again not nearly what I was hoping for. The food smelled very smoky but it was all superficial. My MES40 produced more deeply penetrated smoke.

TIA!

LandToSea

• 3D WiFi owner
Re: Beef Chuck ribs fail
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 01:28:49 PM »
I reheated one rack in the oven still in the resting butcher paper for 1h15m. Then broiled at 450 for 5m to crisp the bark a little. They were better than yesterday so that tells me they needed more time. I still need to figure out why there was no bark and they were so soggy.

EFGM

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 02:31:17 PM »
I'm not a experienced beef rib guy, but I always thought you took them to 200/203*.

Some one will either confirm or correct this in the not to distant future.

Congrats on your new smoker!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 02:58:10 PM by EFGM »
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

LandToSea

• 3D WiFi owner
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 05:13:37 PM »
I'm not a experienced beef rib guy, but I always thought you took them to 200/203*.

I was follow the bible here...
https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2151.msg13967#msg13967

EFGM

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 05:35:49 PM »

I was follow the bible here...
https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=2151.msg13967#msg13967

Ok, I know there are some "Beef Ribatarians" on here. What say you?
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

beeflamb

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 08:16:04 PM »
to create better appearance in both colour and some 'crust' I use paprika and chili powder on some of my smokes.  It absorbs moisture and produces good results.
Michael smoking on S1

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 11:45:02 PM »
They needed a lot more time. Beef ribs are loaded with connective tissue, which is delicious when rendered down to gelatin, but horrible and tough if not. Think brisket. They are going to need to cook more like brisket than pork ribs. They need long low and slow cooking, to break down all that connective tissue and become tender. Depending on the size of the ribs, I could see them taking 6-10 hours. You might consider wrapping in foil halfway through. Also, do a search on this forum for "beef plate ribs". Although plate ribs are probably a slightly different part of the rib than chuck ribs (or short ribs), pretty similar long cook technique. I would not be afraid to wrap the ribs you've already cooked in foil with some liquid, and throw them in a 300 degree oven for a couple hours. They just need more cooking to tenderize.

A longer smoking time should solve all of your problems, with tenderness, bark, and smoke penetration. How much wood did you use? You might have had enough wood for chicken, but beef usually wants more wood/smoke. Many of us like different amounts of smoke. Keep experimenting with the amount of wood until you find what you like. I tend to use a little more wood than what's in the wood chart because I like a little more smoke most of the time. Chicken and beef ribs will never smoke in the same amount of time. 4lb chickens usually only take a couple hours at 250 for me, so you'd want to start your beef ribs at least 4 hours or more before your chickens. And beef ribs can be resting while the chickens are still smoking.

Here's a good post by gregbooras on plate ribs, but there are probably many more.
https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=4283.msg38758#msg38758
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 11:55:03 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide