Author Topic: Howdy from Virginia  (Read 2612 times)

TXVA

Howdy from Virginia
« on: June 30, 2018, 06:21:24 PM »
Howdy,

Just got my SI as a joint Father's/Birthday gift. I am brand-new to smoking and excited to be starting on such a well-built machine. I had to get a smoker after visiting Two Brothers BBQ in San Antonio- I have thought of their brisket nearly every day since visiting and determined to make my own. We just don't get 'cue quite like that in Virginia.

I recently started planting fruit trees and wanted a smoker where I could use pruned limbs from my suburban fruit orchard instead of having to buy fuel. Needless to say, I am very pleased with the build quality of the SI, amazed at how little wood it requires and am impressed with how generous this community is in sharing their tips.

For my first smoke, I tried to make smoked hickory salt and failed. The taste was faint though they turned brown after sitting on the coffee filters. I think the large Himalayan granuals were too dry to absorb the smoke even though I had water in the bottom of the SI. I sure did make smoky water though! Made me think that I could put a stainless steel or copper pot with water in the SI with salt and mount a paint stirrer to the top... I think that will have to wait for another day.

The second smoke was a dream. I had boneless/skinless chicken thighs laying around so I brined them and threw them in at 250. I have some Concord grapevines growing where they shouldn't so I cut two stray vines and threw them in the firebox with the leaves and immature grapes still on them. The smoke smelled wonderful! My oldest son clamored to take a bite and said it was the best chicken he has ever had.

Now its time to find a soft piece of brisket and see if I can bring a taste of Texas into my backyard! I'll be starting with the Lazy-Q version. Please holler if you care to share a tip or two.
Chris from Virginia
Smokin-It #2, Weber Genesis & backyard fire-pit for marshmallows cooked low and slow.

Hank R

Re: Howdy from Virginia
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 11:49:34 AM »
Welcome from Western Canada, this is a great place to hang out and learn about smoking. I am also brand-new to smoking 3 weeks into it so far. ;)
Smokin-It #1
Napoleon Prestige gas BBQ with Cast Iron Charcoal/Smoker Tray
 30 year old Big Chief smoker (unused for the last 25)
 Snow blower lover Toro 1128 HD,
 collector of Oilcans
Princeton BC Canada

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 12:16:11 PM »
Chris - If you can get a prime brisket (I get mine from Costco), you are halfway home.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 05:12:52 PM »
Welcome to the family, Chris...
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

TX Gent

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 10:14:03 AM »
Big Howdy Chris!

Welcome and really liked your use of the grape
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 11:48:31 AM »
Welcome from Delaware, Chris!  You will find lots of good advice and recipes here.  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

TXVA

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 01:18:48 PM »
Welcome from Western Canada, this is a great place to hang out and learn about smoking. I am also brand-new to smoking 3 weeks into it so far. ;)

Thanks Hank! We starting this new adventure together then.
Chris from Virginia
Smokin-It #2, Weber Genesis & backyard fire-pit for marshmallows cooked low and slow.

TXVA

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 01:20:12 PM »
Chris - If you can get a prime brisket (I get mine from Costco), you are halfway home.

Great advice. I'll pick it up there!
Chris from Virginia

TXVA

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 01:22:25 PM »
Big Howdy Chris!

Welcome and really liked your use of the grape

Thanks John! I hope it was not just dumb luck. Will be using it again. Seems like was closer to Texas Q in flavor than not.
Chris from Virginia

TXVA

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 01:23:03 PM »
Welcome from Delaware, Chris!  You will find lots of good advice and recipes here.  Cheers

Thanks Steve! Eager to learn. Appreciate the warm welcome.
Chris from Virginia

Piksil

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 12:14:26 PM »
Welcome Chris from Illinois!
Skip--Godfrey, IL
SI-3D WiFi
Pit Boss Copperhead 5
Weber Genesis II

Durangosmoker

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 05:57:23 PM »
Welcome from the Hudson Valley, and I love the idea of using the grape vines!
Eric in New York's Hudson Valley, unless I can get out to Durango.
SI #1 in Durango, #2 in NY, and thinking about a 3D.

TXVA

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 08:25:01 AM »
Welcome Chris from Illinois!

Thanks Skip!
Chris from Virginia

TXVA

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2018, 08:30:02 AM »
Welcome from the Hudson Valley, and I love the idea of using the grape vines!

Eric- Thanks! If you don’t already have grapevines I understand they grow well where you are. My wife’s favorite wine, Bridgelane White Merlot, comes from there or close to it. The beekeeping there is also legendary (Michael Palmer and others). The Hudson Valley sounds like American culinary heaven to me now that I know there is BBQ there too!
Chris from Virginia

TexasSMK

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2018, 10:01:38 AM »
Welcome Chris, Boston butts and ribs are my favorites on my smoker, but have tried tons of items I picked up from the forum, experiment.  I have smoked everything from oysters to venison--great piece of gear, hope you enjoy for many years. 
Dale from NE Texas--USMC Retired--Living in Havre de Grace, Maryland.  SE#2 with Auber