Author Topic: What makes the analog cycle?  (Read 2581 times)

iamimdoc

What makes the analog cycle?
« on: June 28, 2018, 09:02:13 AM »
I have a model 3.  Inconsistent internal box temps cause me issues
I am thinking about getting an Auber controller to better regulate temp (or another device if anyone has a better alternative to suggest...)

But I have never understood what makes the device cycle on/off?
Temperature?
Time?
Other?

Does unplugging the unit start the cycle again regardless of current internal box temperature?

Basically I am trying to be sure I can get the controller to do what I want (temp of my choosing) without the analog rheostat interfering.

Thanks in advance for help/advice

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: What makes the analog cycle?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 05:23:44 PM »
The analog has a simple capillary based controller with a liquid feed line from the box probe to the controller. When the box temp overshoots your set temp it shuts off power to the heating element. When it drops below your set temp it cycles back on.  Your smoker averages out your set temp. Not unlike your furnace or AC system. It cycles on and off averaging your set temp. With the Auber, you need to ste your analog to max, which is 250. Then shen you smoke at 225 or so there is no conflict.

Use the search feature for Auber bypass. Many folks hardwired their Auber and bypassed the analog controller all together.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 06:45:53 PM by old sarge »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 08:02:45 PM »
Save your money, stop watching the box temp. Set your desired smoker temp then worry about internal meat temp and or length of cook.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

iamimdoc

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 09:51:20 PM »
That's what I have done but the inconsistency means I never know how much time to allow.  I find this frustrating

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 09:57:06 PM »
It is only inconsistent if you watch it. Set it and walk away it averages to the set temp.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

EFGM

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 10:22:18 PM »
That's what I have done but the inconsistency means I never know how much time to allow.  I find this frustrating

It’s the same inconsistency your mother had in her kitchen oven and if I was a betting man I would wager she put some pretty awesome grub on the table and she knew how much time to allow. You just have to trust the Smoker and record your results. They will be very close to what others are telling you, yes even with swings. You trust the chair to hold you when you sit in it, trust the average, it won’t let you down. Even temps without a swing are available, but at a cost.
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

iamimdoc

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 08:33:13 AM »
Ok, but under same temp probe position, location on patio, amt/type/precook temp of meat (2 rib racks), weather (hot), dial setting unchanged, etc, etc : one weekend after 30 minutes temp was 225, next weekend 185.  30 minutes later, first weekend 225, next weekend 190

Pretty variable

If doing a large brisket [and perhaps large laod of  food], seems time could vary by many, many hours making it difficult to know when to put brisket on if having company or one wants to eat before midnite

EFGM

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 03:21:02 PM »
If you have a temp reading device, Tappecue, fireboard, etc, run a test. I think your over thinking this and I understand but... attached is a test run. The first setting was 200,then 225,then 250. You can see the 4 probes at each setting had highs and lows, just like my house oven does, and you can see what the average is over a couple of hours. In this case the 200 setting and 225 setting each averaged about what? 200 and 225. He will be working on the 250 issue but as you can see and I think Pork Belly said, don’t chase the inside temps.

Hope this helps!
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

EFGM

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 03:34:03 PM »
On the Smokin-it website, there is a link to Tony’s Lazy Q Ebook. He gives a detailed explanation of this trait of analog smokers and much much more. If you have not had the opportunity to read you should. I found it very informative.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 06:21:25 PM by EFGM »
Doug
Carrollton

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 03:59:50 PM »
I have used two digital smokers - CookShack and the Smokin-it 3D.  I also had an offset stick burner for years. I have ha ribs smoked to perfection in 4 1/2 hours and as long as 6. Butts and briskets May finish in 1 hour per lb or 2 hours per lb. sometimes a little longer and that is on a digital controlled smoker. I never open the door on ribs till 4 1/2 hour mark. Never. On large cuts I don’t open the door till I get the internal temp I want UNLESS I have exceeded the 1 1/2 hour per lb. Then I check with an instant read Incase I put the probe in a fat pocket and it was no longer in solid contact with the meat. Sometimes the cooktime is meat dependent even if of similar cut and weight. Honestly the food is done when it is done. Digital does not make it faster. A 5 hour smoke is still a 5 hour smoke.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

iamimdoc

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 04:32:47 PM »
I am not expecting/wanting faster.

I would like, within reason, consistent from week to week.

Perhaps digital won't get me that...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 05:14:44 PM »
The weather/ambient temperature has a role to play albeit a rather small role where I live. While cooking times may vary  from brisket to brisket I do get consistently good food. I generally plan for the cook to take longer then if it finishes sooner I just wrap and stash it in a cooler till serving time. Always good eats. Something else I did not mention is that for some odd reason a smaller cut often times takes longer. Must be physics or something. I’ve learned to live with it as have most people on this forum and others I belong to. Just part of the Q life.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 11:52:36 PM »
Ok, but under same temp probe position, location on patio, amt/type/precook temp of meat (2 rib racks), weather (hot), dial setting unchanged, etc, etc : one weekend after 30 minutes temp was 225, next weekend 185.  30 minutes later, first weekend 225, next weekend 190

Pretty variable

If doing a large brisket [and perhaps large laod of  food], seems time could vary by many, many hours making it difficult to know when to put brisket on if having company or one wants to eat before midnite

You will drive yourself crazy if you look at your ambient probe every 30 minutes. If you set your dial to 225, your ambient temp is going to zig zag 20-30 degrees or more above and below your set temp at the beginning of your cook. That's normal. The temperature swings will be wider for the first 3-4 hours, then they will start to even out, but they will still swing at least 10-15 degrees to either side of your set temp.

What you are witnessing by staring at your ambient temps 30 minutes in, is just the smoker and its contents starting to heat up. And in some cases, possibly some combustion from your wood causing a spike in your box temp on one smoke, and not the other. The first 30-60 minutes or so is totally unpredictable, and box temp can vary wildly based on meat load, water pan arrangement, wood combustion, outside temperature, etc.

Attached is a pork butt smoke on my #1. You can see how wacky the ambient temp is in the beginning, then it evens out. Toward the end there where it gets a little more erratic I think I was dinking around changing the dial setting, but you can see your smoker will settle into a more even zig zag after a few hours. You are checking your ambient temps far to early. So don't overthink it. It all averages out. And your overall time is going to be the same. Other factors like size of meat, quality and amount of fat in a cut of meat, etc. will affect your total smoking time more than the analog swings.

Every home oven operates this way. And we bake delicate cakes and souffles in our ovens. Your brisket will be fine. :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 11:54:37 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide